sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Cashed in re 10% of my shares this week,taking profits and building more cash as a precaution ,less risk for me now and some great lower entry opps later hopefully.
    Cashed in 50% of my shares yesterday. Been accumulating BBOZ:ASX and SNAS:ASX. Time will tell if that was a wise thing to do.
    “Instead of thinking “I’m right”, ask yourself “How do I know I am right?” Find the smartest people to disagree with you so you can stress test your ideas.” Ray Dalio

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    It's kinda sad thou. There was a post on a FB group yesterday with one person asking what to do now that their kiwisaver is down 40% because of this high risk ark bs. Clearly didnt know what he was investing in, likely followed some dumb post on FB back when people were posting about mega returns during arks glory days. Others post screenshots of their kiwisavers down 40% as well, in some sick form of solidarity. Then all the fan boys come out and say hold, buy more, just a dip, long term view etc. No actual fundamentals stated, just throwaway lines. One person said $80k down in actual dollars, his profile pic suggested he was late 30's. sad! Kiwisaver is supposed to plod along and compound at 8% every year for decades. Double digit returns some years for a bonus.

If I was to, I would only put a small amount of my own managed portfolio (2%) into an ark fund. But would never ever put my nest egg kiwisaver fund into it, let alone 100% of it!!
    Suckers/mis-informed investors happen in every bubble cycle - chasing the overnight riches which inevitably turn out to be trash. I would throw all those ****co/SPACs in with the crypto/NFT mania as the bubble this time that is rightfully bursting.
    Last edited by LaserEyeKiwi; 23-01-2022 at 03:32 PM.

percy

I am getting very excited looking forward to "PYOTBD" Percy's year of the big dividends.
    Kicks off with SEK's 13cps fully imputed on the 23rd of Feb.Bought more SEK on Thursday.
    I expect increased dividends from HGH and SFF [Silver Fern Farms] .
    Steady dividends from GNE and SPK.
    Perhaps modest divies from DGC and STU.
    And a few good divies from a number of Aussie small caps I hold.ACF,ADA,JYC,PTB,SEQ,SHM,and XRf.
    Last edited by percy; 22-01-2022 at 11:54 AM.

Excellent. Jeremy Siegel definitely thinks dividend payers are the place to be during these troubled, high inflationary, times.

@Rawz. I can't take my eye off Ark. I agree that's it's fine to have an allocation of high risk money in a portfolio upwards of 5 per cent max in my case but ones whole kiwisaver fund? The AARK etf has certainly "disrupted" people's retirement accounts over the last year. To be honest if the people are mostly in their 20s and early 30s it will be a great financial lesson and they'll have plenty of time to right the ship.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 22-01-2022 at 12:59 PM.

Guru

It's kinda sad thou. There was a post on a FB group yesterday with one person asking what to do now that their kiwisaver is down 40% because of this high risk ark bs. Clearly didnt know what he was investing in, likely followed some dumb post on FB back when people were posting about mega returns during arks glory days. Others post screenshots of their kiwisavers down 40% as well, in some sick form of solidarity. Then all the fan boys come out and say hold, buy more, just a dip, long term view etc. No actual fundamentals stated, just throwaway lines. One person said $80k down in actual dollars, his profile pic suggested he was late 30's. sad! Kiwisaver is supposed to plod along and compound at 8% every year for decades. Double digit returns some years for a bonus.

If I was to, I would only put a small amount of my own managed portfolio (2%) into an ark fund. But would never ever put my nest egg kiwisaver fund into it, let alone 100% of it!!
    Sure we don’t know yet, if the current sell-off has reached its nadir. Those whose balances are down by 40%, by how much were they up the previous couple of years?

After the 2020 share sell-off there was a spike in KiwiSaver transfers from high risk to conservative funds. Those switchers effectively locked in their losses prior to the share price recoveries. However hindsight is 20:20 vision.

I am not sure if KiwiSaver is “supposed” to have returns as you suggest. Nothing is guaranteed, and schemes state that annual returns can go down as well as up. I guess over the long run returns average out but individual years can have returns that vary considerably especially for the funds that involve a higher risk. Most schemes have different funds available according to risk tolerance. If you had KiwiSaver from its beginning, you would be aware that annual returns can be negative, especially if you had units in a fund that was not conservative. Granted you would probably need to be mid 30’s or older to have personal experience of that.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 22-01-2022 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I am not sure if KiwiSaver is “supposed” to have returns as you suggest. Nothing is guaranteed, and schemes state that annual returns can go down as well as up. Most schemes have different funds available according to risk tolerance. If you had KiwiSaver from its beginning, you would be aware that annual returns can be negative, especially if you had units in a fund that was not conservative. Granted you would probably need to be mid 30’s or older to have personal experience of that.
    Yeah was meaning long term avg return p.a.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I am getting very excited looking forward to "PYOTBD" Percy's year of the big dividends.
    Kicks off with SEK's 13cps fully imputed on the 23rd of Feb.Bought more SEK on Thursday.
    I expect increased dividends from HGH and SFF [Silver Fern Farms] .
    Steady dividends from GNE and SPK.
    Perhaps modest divies from DGC and STU.
    And a few good divies from a number of Aussie small caps I hold.ACF,ADA,JYC,PTB,SEQ,SHM,and XRf.
    Yea Percy, dividend hound is the way to be if you're retired.

I've got 8% of my ETF holdings in ARKK - was about 10% lol. My ETF holdings is only about 10% of total holdings currently but I'm slowly moving more across to ETF for diversity. Interesting times

Legend

Omicron: NZ moves to red light tonight

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-...3I5RPGAI4IFOA/

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has confirmed New Zealand will move to the red traffic light setting at midnight tonight.

Nine Covid cases in Motueka are confirmed to have the Omicron variant, prompting the decision, Ardern said.

They attended a wedding in Auckland on January 13 along with a funeral, an amusement park and the Sky Tower in the following days. These events had well over 100 people.

Omicron is now circulating in Auckland and possibly the Nelson area, if not further, Ardern said.

could be an interesting week - as it spreads in both islands now
    Last edited by nztx; 23-01-2022 at 01:58 PM.

should be another wild week , buckle up
    one step ahead of the herd