sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Investments

Big swings in moods of people is making everything swing ...after lockdowns ...people went crazy spending money ...now its going other way round ...IMHO this new pessimism is going to make the big fears of INFLATION go away sooner then many thinking . Rates will not rise so much ...they dont need to ...people dont have money and security of mind to keep spending .

Already retail is getting hammered as masses have closed their wallets ...Euphoria is over ...now the pendulum will swing other side

Dont write off markets and productive assets ...its not doom and gloom ahead ...Surprise surprise will happen when most realise inflation will be easy to tame when people dont have money and confidence to chase prices up

Consumerism which led to inflation will vanish with this bust of confidence and vanishing money from wallets

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    Big swings in moods of people is making everything swing ...after lockdowns ...people went crazy spending money ...now its going other way round ...IMHO this new pessimism is going to make the big fears of INFLATION go away sooner then many thinking . Rates will not rise so much ...they dont need to ...people dont have money and security of mind to keep spending .

Already retail is getting hammered as masses have closed their wallets ...Euphoria is over ...now the pendulum will swing other side

Dont write off markets and productive assets ...its not doom and gloom ahead ...Surprise surprise will happen when most realise inflation will be easy to tame when people dont have money and confidence to chase prices up

Consumerism which led to inflation will vanish with this bust of confidence and vanishing money from wallets
    Unfortunately, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as people sell shares and stop spending we go into recession leading to lower company profit. That is basically the business cycle and it is inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Interesting when you look across the whole Energy landscape>>
    What is interesting about that graph is that it's not exponential. Despite population growth and the global spread of energy-consuming technology and life-style, we've been able to massively increase energy efficiency. That graph is a testament to human ingenuity and that we can easily maintain current lifestyles with far lower energy consumption.

Just catching up on Closing Bell...

*Spoiler Alert*

The indexes ripped massively higher in the last 15 minutes of the session. Just insane.

Apart from my $87 contribution to my kiwisaver account per month, I'm not doing anything and am just a passive observer with my 80/20 portfolio (probably less than 80 per cent now It's been the worst few weeks for me, comparable to January 2016 when I owned BHP directly and other Australian resource stocks. Something about China back then that I can't honestly remember.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 29-01-2022 at 10:37 AM.

Guru

Japan and south korea should simplify their currencies:

$1000 NZD :

75.3k Yen
    791k Won

Good reality check, Bullfrog.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    Not O&G, but fossil fuel energy related...

https://www.theage.com.au/business/c...27-p59rob.html

EnergyAustralia last year announced it would shut Victoria’s Yallourn coal-fired power plant in 2028, four years earlier than planned. AGL, the nation’s biggest power supplier, declared the “winds of change” were sweeping the sector much faster than anticipated, prompting the company to embark on a historic demerger of its coal and gas generators from its wider retailing business after sinking to a $2.06 billion full-year loss in the 12 months to June 30.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    There was some recent investment into Kiwirail instead of all the trucks.

People were buying a new model of truck every 5 years along with all the petrol (plus spare parts). all from offshore.
    All Electric, Solar, Wave movement or Wind powered ?

or None of the above ?

obviously Atomic or pedal powered are out

or Too Hard ?
    Last edited by nztx; 29-01-2022 at 04:06 PM.

Advanced Member

Bummer. Just woke up to the fact that the share market is open today.

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Bummer. Just woke up to the fact that the share market is open today.
    Better to go back to sleep... for at least 6 months or so and not look at it at all.

Tom says that a lot of cash has been raised over the last few months "...retail cash...if you look at retail money market cash...retail investors assumed a bear market is starting, they've raised so much cash in the last couple of months that we're essentially resetting a risk on rally...".

I love it when people go mostly to cash, makes me want to stay in the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys5NlAoI2HA
    Last edited by Bobdn; 01-02-2022 at 02:13 PM.