sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

You should not own stocks unless you know and acknowledge this critical fact :

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSevku3A2/

I like the next tiktok that popped up after that was "alcohol is happiness". Fitting

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    You should not own stocks unless you know and acknowledge this critical fact :

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSevku3A2/
    Sage words, those. He’s a good speaker too

Advanced Member

just having a peruse of the latest MPS statement - particularly the databook.
    I see the RBNZ is now forecasting the OCR to rise above 3% in mid 2023 (zero surprises) but then persist and peak at quarterly average of 3.35% in mid 2024.
    both westpac and anz forecasting 3% peaks mid 2023.
    so about 0.35% higher than consensus forecasts . see some of the fx pairings had a wee bump as a result

just a quick pop in till next week thought i better mention the sp 500 has broken its neckline last night of a head and shoulder pattern , one of the most reliable patterns there is. tonght might confirm with a big dip
    one step ahead of the herd

Good time to be holding Cash, probably pay to be watching the global fundamentals rather than the TA at the moment

BF40D1C1-E025-4AA9-9D20-F265E12CE79A.jpg

Have been 70%+ in cash and short term deposits since early January.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Sold all shares yesterday, followed my gut, close call.

I've been investing in the share market since I was 16 - that's around half a century ago. I've always been an investor and only rarely a trader - that's because I've never been any good at picking the highs or the lows in the market.

I've built up a substantial portfolio that sometimes is worth an amazing amount on paper - and sometimes (like right now) - it's worth quite a bit less. My portfolio is however, even today, still worth much, much more than my initial investment.

I enjoy watching my portfolio value increase though it's definitely not so much fun watching it plunge as it has over the past month or so. However, I've been through periods like this before and the market has always recovered - and gone higher.

I'm extremely fortunate because I don't need to draw on any of the capital I have invested. My shares pay dividends (sometimes more, sometimes less) that are always way more than sufficient to meet my annual outgoings and pay for lots of overseas travel (when that's possible). I also maintain a cash balance equivalent to around 4 years of those expenses as a further buffer against the downturns in the market.

I will be sleeping well tonight, not worrying about what's happening on share markets and planning some travel for later this year (not to Ukraine though).

I feel deeply for the people of Ukraine. I watched a Netflix documentary last night on their battle to oust their pro-Russian President in 2014 and know that they now have an extremely difficult period ahead of them as Putin wreaks his ultimate revenge. NATO will probably just make lots of noise but take little real action and sadly, I expect Ukraine will lose it's independence.

Once Ukraine is annexed to Russia, the world will ultimately return to some semblance of "normality," interest rate dramas will eventually subside, hopefully Trump wont be re-elected in the US - and at some point share markets will recover.

Congratulations to those who cashed out recently - I hope you can pick the right time to return to the market.

IMO

Putin threatening anyone tempted to interfere or create threats to our country should know that Russia's response will be immediate and will lead to such consequences as you have never experienced in your history" etc on CNN.
    So the transparency of the Butcher there for all to see .