sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

- Energy not sanctioned.
    - Fairly empty rumour re: Putin willing to negotiate.

Of course, the big one:
    - The doves at the FED might win out and the interest rate hikes will be less aggressive than the market has anticipated.

So while the FED gingerly bumps the rate by a poultry 25 basis points, inflation will continue it's march upward - with the Ukraine tragedy only adding fuel to the fire.

The FED won't be doing Biden any favours as the middle and lower rungs of US society are squeezed further to facilitate another round of risk-on assets pumping.

The VIX was up pretty high as well; as Beagle said - this rollercoaster aint over.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Its going to be impossible to pick a bottom so gradually dollar cost averaging back in over 12-24 months on an ad hoc basis from time to time as various heavily oversold opportunities present themselves is where I'm at with a keen eye on TA confirming my fundamental analysis. If the nukes start being used then the value of our investments falling will be the least of our problems

It seems bizarre that the DOW went up 800 points today. This isn't over by any stretch of the imagination, nowhere even remotely close to being over.
    Western markets will not collapse, they will not be allowed to. While we are effectively on a war footing, all steps will be taken to ensure market stability. As for nukes, like you say, the value of investments would be the least of your problems.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    "The volatility we are seeing at present might ultimately prove an attractive buying opportunity for long-term investors, although it is extremely difficult to make a judgement on exactly when to step in".
    Extremely difficult - he's not kidding !
    Been asked a few times by PM about how I might unwind my very high cash allocation. My view is the economy faces some very strong headwinds at present that don't look like they will abate anytime really soon. Furthermore, the geopolitical situation has rarely been more extreme with a huge range of potential outcomes including the possibility of a full blown European war between NATO countries and Russia and even the possibility of the use of Nuclear weapons.

Its going to be impossible to pick a bottom so gradually dollar cost averaging back in over 12-24 months on an ad hoc basis from time to time as various heavily oversold opportunities present themselves is where I'm at with a keen eye on TA confirming my fundamental analysis. If the nukes start being used then the value of our investments falling will be the least of our problems

It seems bizarre that the DOW went up 800 points today. This isn't over by any stretch of the imagination, nowhere even remotely close to being over.
    Similar thing happened when covid arrived.Traders and novice investors working on instant fix gratifications.Sharsies investor/traders know off by heart"be greedy when others are fearful".It's easy instant gains Ala cellphone sorta world now.

Guru

huge overnight policy changes in europe...Could be a very choppy week ahead on US and European exchanges..

Defence sector spending in europe to go sky high.

... have power to make you great

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzing View Post
    huge overnight policy changes in europe...Could be a very choppy week ahead on US and European exchanges..

Defence sector spending in europe to go sky high.
    Maybe Putin will be Spewtin and get his arse kicked. He has had his time and Muscovites and other Russians are actually visibly protesting in Russia. That takes a lot of guts and a groundswell to get away with

Guru

I can see Fridays gain reversed tonight. An indication may come after Australia and the Asian markets open shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    I can see Fridays gain reversed tonight. An indication may come after Australia and the Asian markets open shortly.
    SPY futures opened down ~2.5%.

Guru

NZ markets up

Hate to be anyone with russian investments..

US appears to have got Europe on board to change its policies over night.

Time to buy defence stocks

Higher inflation and also lower growth as commodities spike.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 28-02-2022 at 12:41 PM.

IMO

I heard on some news channel re a 500km column of Russian army vehicles headed into Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    I heard on some news channel re a 500km column of Russian army vehicles headed into Ukraine
    It's 5 km.