sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    European markets down 7% this week. Dow down for the fourth straight week.
    This morning on CNBC they were talking about gas prices for parts of Europe that would cripple many consumers and business's. Prices that if converted into the price of petrol, (which is something we can more easily understand), are the same as US $30 a gallon. That's $US 8 a liter = $N.Z 11.76 a liter. By the time the Govt added GST and all the other taxes on here imagine paying $15 a liter for petrol !
    Sounds great!

Go long oil futures!

Short utilities!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Russian stops exporting fertilizer? Well, to be fair - the Russian dictator tries to compensate ... so much manure coming out of his mouth.
    Could be serious for Europe as it will cause a real shortage, And there is no replacement, When Russia cuts off oil and gas i wonder if we are going to see a real scramble to re connect with them?

IMO

Can someone start a new thread on Russia-Ukraine,I can't find how to do it.Thanks

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Oil-Pric...l-Imports.html

I wonder where they are going to get the 11m barrels of oil a day Russia produces.

https://www.worldometers.info/oil/oi...on-by-country/

OPEC countries cant produce the quotas they have now.

Does anyone know which country our oil reserves are stored in by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by mcdongle View Post
    Does anyone know which country our oil reserves are stored in by any chance?
    We have no oil reserves.

And this government has banned any new oil & gas explorations.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdongle View Post
    Could be serious for Europe as it will cause a real shortage, And there is no replacement, When Russia cuts off oil and gas i wonder if we are going to see a real scramble to re connect with them?
    Hardly. Plenty of places around the world which have plenty of oil. Look at how the US managed to get independent from foreign oil.

As well - maybe this is the chance the planet needed to remind everybody that conserving energy could be a virtue? Just look at these idiots (not just in NZ) who bought plenty of gas guzzling SUV's they only use to drive to the office and to the supermarket just because petrol was cheap and they needed to show their neighbour that theirs is bigger than his.

Maybe some people here and in Europe will now reconsider.

Maybe some less gas guzzlers on the road. Big deal.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    We have no oil reserves.

And this government has banned any new oil & gas explorations.
    We had oil reserves, it's not clear what percentage of the total reserves the 60 million barrels released are. https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/127...war-on-ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    We had oil reserves, it's not clear what percentage of the total reserves the 60 million barrels released are. https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/127...war-on-ukraine
    Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Sounds great!

Go long oil futures!

Short utilities!
    I'm starting to worry about how balanced you are. $15 a liter for petrol would cripple the transport system, would lead to hyper inflation for food and a whole host of other issues. Imagine paying $750 to fill up the family car...

The reason for my post was to illustrate that many consumers in Europe with gas prices are being forced to choose between heating their homes and food. Just as well summer is coming for them.

I can foresee the possibility of $4 a liter for fuel here as quite conceivable if we get to $200 a barrel for oil. Fuel is already really hurting consumers and acts like a tax and handbrake on the economy.
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-03-2022 at 11:25 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine