sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

IMO

Looking more and more like when Russian oil will be banned not if.
    BBC

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Looking more and more like when Russian oil will be banned not if.
    BBC

Wait until that starts going round and round hitting economies around the globe, each with
    their own pricing / taxing strategies on top

What will $150 or $200 Bbl Oil likely inflict here ?
    Last edited by nztx; 08-03-2022 at 12:51 AM.

Guru

NZ hasn't got a very extensive supply chain for petroleum,17 days including crude on the water but now shutting Marsden
    Seeing the effect here of high prices
    "Hundreds of bakeries shut in Sri Lanka after cooking gas runs out"
    https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/hundred...s-out/47409630

Lucky for us
    "Drilling campaign almost doubles Māui gas field's production - OMV"
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/rnz...roduction--omv
    Last edited by kiora; 08-03-2022 at 05:04 AM.

super volatile night , dax was down 4% one stage only to rally back to up and then end down.
    commodities crazy moves up and down.
    wall st hammered again and looking like europe will be another red night again but wait
    all depends on who says what.

no end of sight for a bottom as its a nice orderly decline or is that bear
    one step ahead of the herd

nzx just broken down thru it consolidation at lows ... implying a quick 300 point to the downside move short term ... of course longer term much lower targets

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    nzx just broken down thru it consolidation at lows ... implying a quick 300 point to the downside move short term ... of course longer term much lower targets
    Not sure what feed you're looking at, but my live feed is still 0.5% above previous lows.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheHorse View Post
    Not sure what feed you're looking at, but my live feed is still 0.5% above previous lows.
    my feed for the nzx is a cfd one not worth paying for a live feed of the index. i find the cfd one works just fine for nzx
    your prices probably different but the overall pic probably the same
    im looking at the consolidation from beginning feb 11900 - 12300 odd

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    Wait until that starts going round and round hitting economies around the globe, each with
    their own pricing / taxing strategies on top

What will $150 or $200 Bbl Oil likely inflict here ?
    Not good for anyo ne except things like EVs,this will turbo charge new disruptive tech and the race to combat climate change.If there is a recession oil use will drop anyways.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Not good for anyo ne except things like EVs,this will turbo charge new disruptive tech and the race to combat climate change.If there is a recession oil use will drop anyways.

Looks to me like a perfect storm of conditions developing for a Global Depression .. am I wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    Looks to me like a perfect storm of conditions developing for a Global Depression .. am I wrong ?
    I guess if you try hard enough, then anything looks like what you want to see.

Pessimist will see the end of the world coming and optimists will see amazing opportunities.

Both optimists and pessimists are sometimes right and sometimes wrong, but optimists tend to live longer :

Just imagine ...

Putin might be taken out by some Russians who do not like war, who like democracy or by some oligarch who loves both his money as well as his country more then he loves the Russian Hitler. Alternatively he could be taken out by some Ukrainian or Western agent (hey, they must be good for something?).
    How do you think markets would react to such a feast - celebration!?

Russians might get stuck in their attack (it sounds they are already) - and while the killing might continue, the world economy might not really care. Have a look at international markets during WW I and WW II instead of inventing bleak scenarios. Rothschild (a guy with much more money than your or I) used to say "Buy to the sound of cannons, sell to the sound of trumpets."

The world might reshuffle energy supplies in the months to come and be quite fine with boycotting the Russian fuels. Again - not a lot would happen to the world economy (hopefully they get a bit faster carbon neutral as spin off).

Sure - Putin might press as well the big red button after discovering that his conventional army is just a bunch of unprofessional clowns ... but lets face it, if he does (I leave it up to your judgement whether both he and his generals are suicidal and happy to kill themselves, their families and their people), then an economic depression is the least of our problems.

Overall I do see many more positive scenarios for the world economy than negative scenarios ... but hey - you see what you want to see.

We well might be at the moment in the early parts of the V-shaped Covid event in 2020. Was this the last big depression? If yes, then hey - you well might be right ;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)