sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

yes good rally from the lows , im not ready though to call a end to the bear.
    considering how well defensive stocks are going this yr it looks like most investors have positioned for a recession and on going decline so far this yr.
    prove being

vct
    gxh
    spk
    cnu
    ift
    gentailers

these are the best performers this yr ... steady business with reliable div,s
    anyway time will tell maybe we should watch all these stocks to tell us when the bear is over lol

anyway on the global stage i see mersk saying things ahead are not to rosy today in there update so sort of fits the narrative above

Shipping firm Maersk, a barometer for global trade, warns of weak demand and warehouses filling up

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/03/ship...illing-up.html
    Last edited by bull....; 04-08-2022 at 07:28 AM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    yes good rally from the lows , im not ready though to call a end to the bear.
    considering how well defensive stocks are going this yr it looks like most investors have positioned for a recession and on going decline so far this yr.
    prove being

vct
    gxh
    spk
    cnu
    ift
    gentailers

these are the best performers this yr ... steady business with reliable div,s
    anyway time will tell maybe we should watch all these stocks to tell us when the bear is over lol

anyway on the global stage i see mersk saying things ahead are not to rosy today in there update so sort of fits the narrative above

Shipping firm Maersk, a barometer for global trade, warns of weak demand and warehouses filling up

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/03/ship...illing-up.html

U were supposed to get WEAK demand when rates go high ...that was the purpose ...thats how INFLATION which is the main culprit of this downtrend is controlled

Weak demand is showing we on right path ...which is eventually rates will come down as there job had been done ...

Unless u for see Inflation not getting controlled while economies getting weaker and weaker ....I will not be negative stocks .

Markets already looking ahead and they see rates working pretty well and in 9 months times or so it will be talk of reducing them

Next 3 months maybe the time to start switching back to growth

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    U were supposed to get WEAK demand when rates go high ...that was the purpose ...thats how INFLATION which is the main culprit of this downtrend is controlled

Weak demand is showing we on right path ...which is eventually rates will come down as there job had been done ...

Unless u for see Inflation not getting controlled while economies getting weaker and weaker ....I will not be negative stocks .

Markets already looking ahead and they see rates working pretty well and in 9 months times or so it will be talk of reducing them

Next 3 months maybe the time to start switching back to growth
    getting weak demand does not solve high inflation , that wont reduce inflation back to acceptable numbers. it is only part of a solution to high inflation.
    when the numbers for inflation turn the fight is not over thats why the fed people this week are telling you rates might be high for long time obviously the market does not think so but market moves in funny ways at times

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    Oil close to $ 90 !!! Markets close to high resistance zone

Maybe time to switch to bullish mode ahead . Buy the dips

Our Market NZX clearly crossed 4600 yesterday and maybe will reach 4800 stop this week

W69's target of 12000 in August may come sooner then we thought

First Half of August good then we may happen to consolidate in second half.
    I would not be surprised to see more upside with Commodities continuing coming well off higher levels ...US CPI will come in lower that expected from last .. FED may add a more dovish tone,Company earning have been stronger than expected

.. but think this BULLISH turn will only last in the short term ... reality is Winter demands will force Energy much higher as OPEC has very little spare capacity(China still not fully opened) ... Net Zero EV demands, will weigh back on Commodities,,,, War/weather issues affecting food supply ..

IMHO markets will close higher than present end of AUG ...but lower end of NOV-DEC

And of course flip-flopping Central banks ..as Inflation tames but then surges again northern hemi winter
    Last edited by JBmurc; 04-08-2022 at 09:18 AM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

I could look this up but then I'd having nothing post.

If we're no longer down 20 per cent does that mean that we're no longer in a bear market? So these rallies are just rallies not "bear market" rallies?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    I could look this up but then I'd having nothing post.

If we're no longer down 20 per cent does that mean that we're no longer in a bear market? So these rallies are just rallies not "bear market" rallies?
    Seems to be no 100% definition here is some vague stuff I found
    A common rule of thumb: a new bull market is marked by a 20% gain from the low for a sustained period of time. Ned Davis Research, an independent provider of global investment research based in Nokomis, Florida, uses the Dow Jones Industrial Average to track bulls and bears because there is more history associated with the index. They maintain that a 30% rise in stocks for more than 50 days, or a 13% gain for more than 155 days, heralds the start of a new bull market.

That's a good find, thanks Ratkin. So we have a way to go yet.

Guru

The 10 year treasury yield has pulled back significantly which adds support to stocks.

Crude oil also down a fair bit.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 05-08-2022 at 08:27 AM.

When we come out of this bear market, I'm going to plan a party for myself. It's going to be quite an afternoon I can tell you. No, really.

Edit: Party planning on hold. All this "good news is bad news" is sick making.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 06-08-2022 at 01:39 AM.

Payrolls increased 528,000 in July, much better than expected in a sign of strength for jobs market

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/05/jobs...22-528000.html

well that's a strong number .... will the fed be upset