sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

ANZ the first bank to raise floating mortgage rates following last week's OCR hike. They are passing through less than the full +75 bps to floating rate borrowers, but all of it to their bonus saver account. Term deposit savers get less

https://www.interest.co.nz/personal-...weeks-ocr-hike

5% 1yr term deposit
    whole lot of nz stocks just got less competitive
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    ANZ the first bank to raise floating mortgage rates following last week's OCR hike. They are passing through less than the full +75 bps to floating rate borrowers, but all of it to their bonus saver account. Term deposit savers get less

https://www.interest.co.nz/personal-...weeks-ocr-hike

5% 1yr term deposit
    whole lot of nz stocks just got less competitive
    You've got to wonder what they are going to do with that money that they are borrowing at 5% - sure as hell there are going to be limited opportunities to lend it at 8%

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    Because if I wanted to ignore this community's uneducated takes on crypto I have been able to just ignore the crypto forum, now I need to see it here in the NZX forum though.

Need I say more re Buffet.
    You have a lot to learn, Entrep.

Start with understanding why Buffett did not invest in technology stocks and how he triumphed subsequently when the first ‘technology/internet’ boom went bust.

Then you can quote him with authority rather than use the quote to do yourself in - as crypto dummies have.

https://fs.blog/temperament-matters/

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    You have a lot to learn, Entrep.

Start with understanding why Buffett did not invest in technology stocks and how he triumphed subsequently when the first ‘technology/internet’ boom went bust.

https://fs.blog/temperament-matters/
    I get that, he called the tech crash. Great. It's like you're equating everyone into crypto with Scam Bankrun-Fraud, 3AC, FTX and other crypto bros/scammers.

Many companies rightly went bust in the tech crash, some survived and have since changed the world. FTX, and some other crypto companies that offered unsustainable yields, went bust this time around. Has any network gone down? No. Can I still send $100 instantly to anyone, anywhere in the world? Yes. This is not the end of crypto, just like the other 9,000 times weren't.

I think anyone that writes crypto off simply based on their own experience, a friend getting scammed, or FTX going bankrupt (heard of Lehman Bros?) is doing themselves a serious dis-service. There are many intelligent people in the space that you can learn from.

Anyway, I'd much rather not discuss crypto in this NZX forum.
    BTC went to $69K and now $16K. Good thing I’ve been warning you since it was $3K! I was right!

Great comment from "Jeff Currie" I just heard on CNBC ..... revenge of the old economy ...has happen from the 60's 70's 90's 2000s

Higher Inflation = higher interest rates - shorter duration investment like resources - industries LOW PE do very well

LOW Inflation....excess cheaper resources... Lower rates longer duration investments like TECH high PE ... do well DOT com / Faangs /Cryptos

Next 5 to 10yrs Old Economy will do very well with HUGE CAPEX demands
    Last edited by JBmurc; 29-11-2022 at 11:57 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Yes he been saying this for a good amount of time, a year or two at least. When Exxon was about $40 a share

I guess theres still some revenge left but how much, who knows. I still can't not have something on the other side of my Australian resource heavy portfolio. So I'm ok holding the S&P500 forever or when I need to get my knees or hip done privately.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 30-11-2022 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Yes he been saying this for a good amount of time, a year or two at least. When Exxon was about $40 a share

I guess theres still some revenge left but how much, who knows. I still can't not have something on the other side of my Australian resource heavy portfolio. So I'm ok holding the S&P500 forever or when I need to get my knees or hip done privately.
    Yes and he's been correct and I don't see that changing for the rest of this decade...
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

US markets still tracking as expected ... sideways at the moment. longer term patterns still maintained and on track to play out next yr

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    US markets still tracking as expected ... sideways at the moment. longer term patterns still maintained and on track to play out next yr
    Friday and 11th Dec then last Fed meeting will set the tone mate ...market waiting for final confirmation that Inflation topped and looking for more signs of slowdown

Where as all leading indicators are pointing towards slowdown ....US 10Y is also showing market consensus towards big slowdown ahead ...

I am sure U have your own judgment about record inversion of yield curve

Business confidence dives - close to GFC lows

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...B2GGCNV35J7GQ/