sharetrader
Page 13 of 1882 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723631135131013 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Nasi Goreng View Post
    Maybe those who have sold will be able to buy a new fleece with the profits that they just locked in.
    Or buy the whole herd back at a cheaper price

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    haven't been to bed since Monday morning, should have seen the first 20mins wall street simply fascinating to watch and trade.

I think its still to early to bargain hunt nz yet, asx looks more tempting today for daytrading
    If you think Wall Street was dramatic, did you see what happened to the NZD? Plummeted to under 60c USD just after 1am before shooting back up to over 64c. Similar for the AUD but less extreme.
    To foretell the future, one must first unlock the secrets of the past.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nasi Goreng View Post
    Maybe those who have sold will be able to buy a new fleece with the profits that they just locked in.
    Yes but the question is how many have actually made any profit? something we can't know but I'd hazard a quess that a bigger percentage of sellers are taking a loss right now,especially the panickers.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by chippy52 View Post
    The one poster I sorely miss. Very knowledgeable.
    Mr P's TA discipline .... while the NZX50 index MSI was in the red ..strict rules are actioned... compulsory sell any NZ stock that triggers TA sell signals.

NZX50 MSI is in the red

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Mr P's TA discipline .... while the NZX50 index MSI was in the red ..strict rules are actioned... compulsory sell any NZ stock that triggers TA sell signals.

NZX50 MSI is in the red
    That's how it should be played I reckon .... except for those who hold forever, they are into shares for another purpose and expect to see 20%-30%-40% declines every now and again

I like keeping most of the gains ... Mr P said 'the market giveth but the market also taketh.'
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Banned

Hey SLi is up, now who'd have thought This dog may yet bark.
    Last edited by couta1; 25-08-2015 at 10:50 AM.

Handsome Member

Hi All,
    Can someone please comment/give their opinion on this.
    I see so much of selling and my portfolio is in red like most people on here but 90% of the shares I own are all dividend paying shares with PE's between 10-20. I have not sold anything and I know as many on here have stated - when things get this bad sell sell sell, I am only 30 and I see with just dividends alone for the next couple years will bring me back in the black. I just don't really understand how taking the losses now and putting the $ in the bank with 3% interest or 5% on my investment property would be better than letting this play out. Is my thinking completely wrong? Should I be protecting capital?

Advanced Member

If you are a long term investor in solid companies, just ignore the market and get on with your life. Certainly wouldnt be selling up. Think about buying a few more if anything

meant as reply to above

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    That's how it should be played I reckon .... except for those who hold forever, they are into shares for another purpose and expect to see 20%-30%-40% declines every now and again

I like keeping most of the gains ... Mr P said 'the market giveth but the market also taketh.'
    For investors. Buying when Ps indicator was ar its worst has proved quite profitable. 2009 turned out to be a great time to buy stocks, for those with a longer timeframme

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    If you are a long term investor in solid companies, just ignore the market and get on with your life. Certainly wouldnt be selling up. Think about buying a few more if anything

meant as reply to above
    I get my annual bonus from work in 2 weeks, and my plans are to buy while everyone else is selling.