sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    I had zero bonds in my accumulation phase. Now that I'm retired, I have some.

Retired very early, no pension or other sources of income for many years yet. I'm eating my own cooking.
    Are you a FIRE investor? Financial Independence Retire Early. Our own NZ Mr Money Mustache.

Your Money or Your Life (more or less). This book preceded FIRE and MMM of course. MMM pays tribute to it on his webpage.

Now, when it was first published the book was all about T-Bills because they paid a handsome return. Later additions included shares.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 02-02-2023 at 02:19 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Are you a FIRE investor? Financial Independence Retire Early. Our own NZ Mr Money Mustache.
    MMM is interesting. Been following him on and off for many years now. Don't think I have his discipline in me (I mean a beer at the pub with the boys is worth more than $ it costs) but the general concepts are good and many more could do something like that in their lives.

Yes good concepts. I don't have that discipline either. I just stick to a 4 per cent rule (actually 3.5 per cent) and adjust for inflation. I never go over budget. 4 per cent rule good for 30 years. 3.5 per cent good for 40 years.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 02-02-2023 at 02:26 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    MMM is interesting. Been following him on and off for many years now. Don't think I have his discipline in me (I mean a beer at the pub with the boys is worth more than $ it costs) but the general concepts are good and many more could do something like that in their lives.
    One of the issues I've always seen with the MMM type prescription is going without so much early for gain later - too many people die before they get to later.
    I also have a problem with the 'live now and leave later to later' method.
    A bit of balance is needed I think.

Guru

Your Money or Your Life (more or less). This book preceded FIRE and MMM of course. MMM pays tribute to it on his webpage.

Now, when it was first published the book was all about T-Bills because they paid a handsome return. Later additions included shares.
    Good on ya Bobdn. Kudos!!

Investments

After Powell statement and 25pips increase with sounding done and also acknowledging rates have started to work ....US 10 Y made new recent low of almost 3.337 ...with our resultant NZ 10Y following ....I am sure Growth stocks p/e expansion time has truly arrived with Nasdaq our performing Dow day after day

Good times are back ...will they stay or keep faltering ....it's getting clear to majority market participants that we have better chance with buying the dips now ...which can still get many ...2023 much better then 2022 for stocks at least ...Bonds are actually have more fun at the moment

Advanced Member

Yes good concepts. I don't have that discipline either. I just stick to a 4 per cent rule (actually 3.5 per cent) and adjust for inflation. I never go over budget. 4 per cent rule good for 30 years. 3.5 per cent good for 40 years.
    My problem is I am addicted to accumulating, spending brings me out in a rash. Although inflation is taking my 4% recently

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    After Powell statement and 25pips increase with sounding done and also acknowledging rates have started to work ....US 10 Y made new recent low of almost 3.337 ...with our resultant NZ 10Y following ....I am sure Growth stocks p/e expansion time has truly arrived with Nasdaq our performing Dow day after day

Good times are back ...will they stay or keep faltering ....it's getting clear to majority market participants that we have better chance with buying the dips now ...which can still get many ...2023 much better then 2022 for stocks at least ...Bonds are actually have more fun at the moment
    nasdaq playing catch up now as people rotate from industrials and powell giving his blessing.
    DJT nearing all time highs too now
    so in hindsight of last yr rising rates was just a story impacting nasdaq and by association sp500 and overseas markets for maybe half yr.
    one step ahead of the herd

Jeez …. every US market index pushing through its upper Bollinger band while core inflation is still at 4.4-5.7%…..Fed won’t like that
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”