sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    A bit of a trend with recent reporting.. sell more but make less. Companies finding it difficult to maintain profit margins. Expenses difficult to contain

Maintain market share or maintain margins?
    exactly

With most of the S&P 500 earnings reports behind, it’s clear companies are in an earnings slump and have a difficult year ahead regardless of the recession scenario, according to David Kelly, chief global strategist at J.P. Morgan Asset Management.
    “As of last Thursday, with almost 95% of market cap reporting, S&P 500 operating earnings per share were tracking $49.37, down 13% from a year earlier,”

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/26/stoc...lose-news.html

the NZ reporting seasion has not be too different , in fact i think overall nz company reporting was poor and looking forward the next logical step in contracting margins is people being laid off and if this is not possible div cuts
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    exactly

With most of the S&P 500 earnings reports behind, it’s clear companies are in an earnings slump and have a difficult year ahead regardless of the recession scenario, according to David Kelly, chief global strategist at J.P. Morgan Asset Management.
    “As of last Thursday, with almost 95% of market cap reporting, S&P 500 operating earnings per share were tracking $49.37, down 13% from a year earlier,”

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/26/stoc...lose-news.html

the NZ reporting seasion has not be too different , in fact i think overall nz company reporting was poor and looking forward the next logical step in contracting margins is people being laid off and if this is not possible div cuts
    Why do you make every normal process sounding bad?

We are currently at an absolute employment peak - there obviously is only one way we can go from here (as with any other peak) ... and Reserve banks around the world are pretty desperate to engineer a recession, so - yes it is great to see that both the laws of gravity as well as the efforts of the many Orrs around the world do work and conditions are going to deteriorate, as they should.

But hey - this is as natural as night following day ... and clever investors will think about how to make money the next day instead of whinging about dusk falling in.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 28-02-2023 at 09:49 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

was a black monday today for me
    went to buy some kumera for the roast and it was $14 for 2 that's right 2 bloody kumera obviously our food supply chain is fu..ed
    one step ahead of the herd

I know what you mean. $5 for a cabbage. Rump steak was $14 a kg, however, so I filled up my (little) freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    was a black monday today for me
    went to buy some kumera for the roast and it was $14 for 2 that's right 2 bloody kumera obviously our food supply chain is fu..ed
    Should have invested in a Kumara field - and now just creaming it ;

Discl: not a big fan of Kumara, but we grow our own Jerusalem artichokes and potatoes plus plenty of vegies. Not concerned about what the shops charge ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Should have invested in a Kumara field - and now just creaming it ;

Discl: not a big fan of Kumara, but we grow our own Jerusalem artichokes and potatoes plus plenty of vegies. Not concerned about what the shops charge ...
    With you there BP. We grow most of our own vegetables. Normally does not make sense financially, but this year its a huge gain. And the freshness you can't beat.

markets showing all the attributes of a bear market, except I expect NZD strength (at least relatively if not nominally)
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    markets showing all the attributes of a bear market, except I expect NZD strength (at least relatively if not nominally)
    As long as they dont make new lows ....think we will be alright ...biggest fear is the dreaded ..." Capitulation " may come as most had become positive now after jan rally ....but that may actually be final word ...so by year end we will be more positive ...hopefully !!!

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    As long as they dont make new lows ....think we will be alright ...biggest fear is the dreaded ..." Capitulation " may come as most had become positive now after jan rally ....but that may actually be final word ...so by year end we will be more positive ...hopefully !!!
    The patient wait for 'capitulation', it is a good thing for them - trader or value investor, they have stored up reserve capital and see a once in a generation opportunity to buy equities at extreme low values. It only becomes about choosing wisely, but either way, a sustained rebound from capitulation will reward traders and value investors.

Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    The patient wait for 'capitulation', it is a good thing for them - trader or value investor, they have stored up reserve capital and see a once in a generation opportunity to buy equities at extreme low values. It only becomes about choosing wisely, but either way, a sustained rebound from capitulation will reward traders and value investors.

Bring it on!
    Your presuming it will happen?

I have been looking to see when KFL announce another warrant offer. I suspect they can't be keen to see another failure, so I am of the opinion they will wait till they are sure the bottom is in and 12 months henceforth they are in the money.

That said I could see their last one being a failure they day they announced it,
    Last edited by mike2020; 02-03-2023 at 07:20 AM.