sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Not, it's just a subsidy. Doesn't require any fancy name.

I'n America and Europe they can't nearly stand on their own two feet, requiring massive subsidy. Can't be different here.
    Many countnies subsidise their farmers. We don't. Many countries subsidise their electricity production systems. We don't.

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/07/do...out-subsidies/

"Does Wind ‘Work’ Without Subsidies?" (2019 article, about the USA)

"By some metrics, wind power is already competitive with fossil fuels without extra financial help. But other measures don’t reach the same conclusion — and projections vary about what will happen to the industry when its biggest subsidy goes away."

"The primary federal subsidy for wind is a tax credit known as the production tax credit, or PTC, which offers wind facilities and some other renewables a small tax credit for every kilowatt hour of energy produced over a farm’s first decade."

"The credit, however, is already being phased out. After being worth a maximum of 2.3 cents per kWh for farms that broke ground in 2016, the credit value has fallen by 20 percentage points each year, and the PTC is scheduled to elapse entirely at the beginning of 2020."

"It should be noted that other forms of energy also receive subsidies. “Every energy technology we’ve had … has benefited quite substantially from the federal government,” said Jay Bartlett, a senior research associate at the independent nonprofit Resources for the Future."

"Natural gas and oil producers, for instance, receive tax preferences for exploration and development costs, and receive additional tax breaks related to extraction, among others."

"According to reports from the Department of Energy and the Congressional Research Service, fossil fuels have historically received more support than renewables"

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Everything will turn out fine

1.jpg

2.jpg
    BTC went to $69K and now $16K. Good thing I’ve been warning you since it was $3K! I was right!

powell speech to congress tomorow morning and jobs friday should make for an exciting week
    one step ahead of the herd

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    Everything will turn out fine

1.jpg

2.jpg
    jpg number two is interesting. I appreciate it is the US but all the manufacturing going to china and asia really brought down the price of a lot of manufactured goods. Helped keep inflation low while pumping up asset prices.

I wonder if cheap foreign labour can keep things going or if we have entered a higher inflationary period, with interest rates further to rise. I guess we can only watch the CPI.

Fed Chair Powell says interest rates are ‘likely to be higher’ than previously anticipated

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/07/fed-...ticipated.html

ORR might be saying same soon
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    Fed Chair Powell says interest rates are ‘likely to be higher’ than previously anticipated

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/07/fed-...ticipated.html

ORR might be saying same soon
    So Orr won’t be saying it’s picked and no more OCR hikes
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Investments

When I logged in ...I expected to see above two posts ....wow ...how predictable !!!

Yes ...conditions and hype is forming to go down ....I said so when Hoop wrote "I am positive now " ....but in long term he was trying to convey that buy the upcoming dip ....as that maybe your last chance

So imo actionable brief is " Buy the upcoming dip " ....

Its moving towards short term higher rates and for longer but surely hard landing ( required to control inflation ) ...thus rates will drop also equally fast ...which is actually best outcome for stocks ...especially strong ones with cash positive balance sheets and very controlled debt ...
    Last edited by alokdhir; 08-03-2023 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    When I logged in ...I expected to see above two posts ....wow ...how predictable !!!

Yes ...conditions and hype is forming to go down ....I said so when Hoop wrote "I am positive now " ....but in long term he was trying to convey that buy the upcoming dip ....as that maybe your last chance

So imo actionable brief is " Buy the upcoming dip " ....

Its moving towards short term higher rates and for longer but surely hard landing ( required to control inflation ) ...thus rates will drop also equally fast ...which is actually best outcome for stocks ...especially strong ones with cash positive balance sheets and very controlled debt ...
    Sorry we disappointed you alokdhir

But then again that was the response I predicted would come from you
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Sorry we disappointed you alokdhir

But then again that was the response I predicted would come from you
    U didnt disappoint me mate ...U validated me ...I was not sad ...I was happy to see your well informed " Impartial " posts ...

Just prior to the meeting/ testimony I read somewhere (international) that the stock market has already baked in a 30 bp increase. Likely to be higher seems to interpreted as much higher based on the immediate reaction of the market.