sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Guru

Steady on this is not a N Z banking situation.

SVB only had approx 80% of deposits covered by insurance , so it always doomed to fail with increasing interest rates, I see the fed today is trying to force down interest rates for the short term in order to decrease the pain !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    For me its market offering maybe last opportunity to get high quality companies or funds like KFL at very reasonable prices ...small / regular buying will eventually get u to bottom of this downtrend ....IMHO ...as thats what I will be doing ...

Bonds rallied as market flight to safety syndrome took over ...US2Year dropped massive 40 bips

Also this is US financial market specific but will sour sentiment especially in March ...unless CPI is a market friendly print ....we shud keep going down for another 2 weeks ....great opportunity ...again in imo only ...all can DYOR ....
    your thinking short term on the market , i read on cnbc some fella say historically when you get big bank stock drawdown's after initial run down you get bounce but market declines are much lower there after. i guess he's meaning as they clear out the bank failure assets and debts ? that causes the decline ongoing
    remeber this bank is very big coolapse historically

anyway market clos so im off have nice weekend everyone
    Last edited by bull....; 11-03-2023 at 10:03 AM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    Steady on this is not a N Z banking situation.

SVB only had approx 80% of deposits covered by insurance , so it always doomed to fail with increasing interest rates, I see the fed today is trying to force down interest rates for the short term in order to decrease the pain !!!!

Correct, NZ banks are far worse.

Guru

Hiking the fed rate from 0% to 5% in one year is obviously going to cause issues (except for fed officials who believe their own spin).

There's time to deal with inflation, and plenty of alternatives instead of using 100 year old tools and ideas.

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    your thinking short term on the market , i read on cnbc some fella say historically when you get big bank stock drawdown's after initial run down you get bounce but market declines are much lower there after. i guess he's meaning as they clear out the bank failure assets and debts ? that causes the decline ongoing
    remeber this bank is very big coolapse historically

anyway market clos so im off have nice weekend everyone
    Actually I am not a trader but an investor ...so I am not looking to buy regularly on the way down to new bottom KFL for bounce but for long term keeps as I anticipate it to reach $ 2 in next 5 years ....safe growth in long term is my aim ...no one buys funds like KFL for technical bounces ...they are bought for income and growth over long term ...please check what it holds then U will have better idea what I was referring to ...

U too enjoy your weekend mate ...time away from 12 screens ...U deserve it !!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Correct, NZ banks are far worse.
    You are technically correct except it does not apply to us in this situation.

It will be fascinating to watch what happens there this week and in the next few weeks/months

JPM,Citibank and Wells Fargo all up today.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    You are technically correct except it does not apply to us in this situation.

It will be fascinating to watch what happens there this week and in the next few weeks/months
    Watching exactly nothing won't be fascinating.

And many financial commentators along with some posters here were anguishing over potential bank failures in China & associated global financial contagion just about a year or so ago?

What happened?
    Last edited by Balance; 11-03-2023 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    And many financial commentators along with some posters here were anguishing over potential bank failures in China & associated global financial contagion just about a year or so ago?

What happened?
    Looks like the US and the West have blown themselves into a banking crisis again?

Hard to blame China surely ever again?