sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    This is a dramatic misunderstanding of how simple banking works.

We're in the age of the Internet, the information is out there.

No excuses.
    Mate I worked in international banking for 20 years in both London & Sydney in the wholesale markets. I'm not here to educate you on how banking works.

OK so when you buy property don't you transfer your money to the bank account of the person you're buying the property from? So the same money sits in an account just with a different name on it? Same with shares?
    Are you really suggesting the same amount of money stays in bank accounts?
    The old zero sum game has never existed, otherwise their wouldn't be growth or inflation. It doesn't allow for monetary or credit expansion or new share issuance, new house builds, population increase. So many things.

OK so when you buy property don't you transfer your money to the bank account of the person you're buying the property from? So the same money sits in an account just with a different name on it? Same with shares?
    Apparently money transfer between banks is not done by transferring people's deposits because these are liabilities of the individual banks and so cannot be transferred.
    I'm sure banking could be explained quite simply (not by me) but it is in nobody's interests to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    i applied that logic to bitcoin when it crashed and its up 40% last mth lol , also as i stated on here meta that worked out well too up 100% now , also brought some bank stocks too recently
    gotto be able to tell which is value though thats the secret
    Investing in assets during a market crash only makes sense when the price is falling disproportionately to its intrinsic value. Given that Bitcoin does not generate cash flow, buying it during a price decline is purely speculative.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Mate I worked in international banking for 20 years in both London & Sydney in the wholesale markets. I'm not here to educate you on how banking works.

Thank god for that as you have no idea.

If you worked for someone else in the financial industry for that long then by definition you haven't a clue. Should be independent way before that long.

Just because you work in an industry does not mean you understand how it works.

Banned

Are you really suggesting the same amount of money stays in bank accounts?
    The old zero sum game has never existed, otherwise their wouldn't be growth or inflation. It doesn't allow for monetary or credit expansion or new share issuance, new house builds, population increase. So many things.

No of course I am not.

Money is created when loans are issued.

What I said was that it's not possible in aggregate to transfer money into shares or other assets as all you are doing is swapping your money to the person who sells you shares.

The dollar you send out of your account goes into theirs.

The only way money can disappear is if there is default or loans are paid down (which then requires new money anyway)

You or whoever it was, was suggesting that money needs to go from the banking system into other assets, but it cannot in aggregate.

Just like every share in a company has to be owned by someone, so does every dollar in the banking system.
    Last edited by SailorRob; 02-04-2023 at 08:57 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by valuenz View Post
    investing in assets during a market crash only makes sense when the price is falling disproportionately to its intrinsic value. Given that bitcoin does not generate cash flow, buying it during a price decline is purely speculative.

exactly...

No of course I am not.

Money is created when loans are issued.

What I said was that it's not possible in aggregate to transfer money into shares or other assets as all you are doing is swapping your money to the person who sells you shares.

The dollar you send out of your account goes into theirs.

The only way money can disappear is if there is default or loans are paid down (which then requires new money anyway)

You or whoever it was, was suggesting that money needs to go from the banking system into other assets, but it cannot in aggregate.

Just like every share in a company has to be owned by someone, so does every dollar in the banking system.
    Exactly ….
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Banned

Imagine getting up and crawling into a suit and to go to some office job for 20 years when you also are supposed to know things about finance.

Oxymoron.

Surely you'd be better working on your own terms investing your own capital and that of close friends and family.