sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Well I think I have discovered the forum troll, who is obviously quite insecure.
    Is there anyway of switching someone off?
    Yes
    I will pm you.
    I have posted before about trolls and disclosed sailor rob as one of his multiple personalities

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    you come across as someone who is fairly intelligent but it appears from your continual rantings on bet's that you have never beaten the market ever and it is incomprehensible to you how it could ever be possible for anyone to do it because you cant ( only buffett can says sailor ... he's my hero )
    That's wrong, once I beat it over a 3 day period.

You can't take that away from me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Yes
    I will pm you.
    I have posted before about trolls and disclosed sailor rob as one of his multiple personalities
    Challenge my ideas or debate in the open, or take my bets. Or just try to silence?

Banned

https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/uvM9Y/3/

Brutal. Add some inflation to those numbers and plenty selling 50% down from peak.

Reported this ongoing crap. When the normally restrained Sharetrader community can no longer hold their tongues and start popping up commenting on other posters behaviour it's pretty obvious there is a problem.

Thanks Fish

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Thanks Fish
    Problem

When I tried to send the pm it says you are not receiving pm

Crypto crude was banned but just uses his other personalities.
    it’s very frustrating when they keep appearing.
    needs putting down
    Last edited by fish; 02-04-2023 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    Daytr and bull, even if you don't deem it necessary or care to prove that you've beaten the market over a ten year period, why wouldn't you do in order to have SailorRob donate 100k to a charity? It would do some good in the world, and I bet it would feel good to prove SailorRob wrong.
    I've come to the conclusion that either, neither of you have beaten the market over a 10 year period, or neither of you are willing to put in a small amount of effort in order to have a large amount of money donated to charity.
    you perhap's dont know what's involved in an audit or the cost which is substantial the more complex it is or the time involved by one to answer all questions sit down with auditors etc etc very substantial amount of time in some cases.
    but yes giving to charity is good , i find buying a lotto each week online very rewarding knowing it is helping some charity and i dont even have to go thru a audit to do it

and by the way to your other question , i agree bitcoin is speculation and could be argued it has no intrinsic value but buying at certain times offers value because of others perceptions of value
    Last edited by bull....; 02-04-2023 at 04:47 PM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    you perhap's dont know what's involved in an audit or the cost which is substantial the more complex it is or the time involved by one to answer all questions sit down with auditors etc etc very substantial amount of time in some cases.
    but yes giving to charity is good , i find buying a lotto each week online very rewarding knowing it is helping some charity and i dont even have to go thru a audit to do it

and by the way to your other question , i agree bitcoin is speculation and could be argued it has no intrinsic value but buying at certain times offers value because of others perceptions of value

Ok Bull, that is fair enough.

Earlier today you stated;

'the important thing to me is i know and can prove' (that you have beaten the market)

So having made that statement, by definition you must know what your returns have been.

The S&P 500 (what all professionals and serious investors call 'the market' and measure returns against) has the following total returns;

2013 32.29%
    2014 13.69%
    2015 1.38%
    2016 11.96%
    2017 21.83%
    2018 -4.38%
    2019 31.49%
    2020 18.40%
    2021 28.71%
    2022 -18.11%

The CAGR over that time with dividends reinvested was 12.4%

What have your returns been over this period, either a CAGR for the period or preferably year by year. As above, you have this information and can easily provide it.

You must include all cash in your results. I.e. you can't have a year where you're 90% cash while the market rips 30% and you only compare your equity portion that year. It's everything every year.

Super easy to provide. You are anonymous here so nothing to worry about.

If you don't want to provide in public, perhaps a group of us could meet at a bar somewhere and you bring along your returns and when it's proven that you have achieved what you say, I will shout everyone. Would need to go into more detail for 'the bet' but I agree it's not easy.

If you have chosen another market to measure yourself against, that's fine we can use that instead.

Daytr, this all goes for you as well.

For me, I have never said I have or can beat the market. It would be exceptionally difficult over a full cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Ok Bull, that is fair enough.

Earlier today you stated;

'the important thing to me is i know and can prove' (that you have beaten the market)

So having made that statement, by definition you must know what your returns have been.

The S&P 500 (what all professionals and serious investors call 'the market' and measure returns against) has the following total returns;

2013 32.29%
    2014 13.69%
    2015 1.38%
    2016 11.96%
    2017 21.83%
    2018 -4.38%
    2019 31.49%
    2020 18.40%
    2021 28.71%
    2022 -18.11%

The CAGR over that time with dividends reinvested was 12.4%

What have your returns been over this period, either a CAGR for the period or preferably year by year. As above, you have this information and can easily provide it.

You must include all cash in your results. I.e. you can't have a year where you're 90% cash while the market rips 30% and you only compare your equity portion that year. It's everything every year.

Super easy to provide. You are anonymous here so nothing to worry about.

If you don't want to provide in public, perhaps a group of us could meet at a bar somewhere and you bring along your returns and when it's proven that you have achieved what you say, I will shout everyone. Would need to go into more detail for 'the bet' but I agree it's not easy.

If you have chosen another market to measure yourself against, that's fine we can use that instead.

Daytr, this all goes for you as well.

For me, I have never said I have or can beat the market. It would be exceptionally difficult over a full cycle.
    Neither have I. But if you understood wholesale markets as you claim you would know there is no index to be measured against trading short or long FX, metals, energy, credit ot crypto markets etc. Share trading would be less than 10% of what I trade. I don't care if I 'beat the market' or have 12 screens which is ludicrous. I just care if I make money. To suggest that most professional bank traders lose money just reflects your ignorance.