sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Fiordland Moose View Post
    This thread has gone bananas
    You're not wrong there

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    I will admit one thing, it would be much easier if I could just look at chart to make a decision.

Would you consider giving lessons?
    i dont know why you think i only look at a chart lol
    a all rounded investor should know all the skills in my opinion

but anyway from your cut and pasting i assume your following buffet because of his bet on oil
    but why is buffet betting on oil
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    i dont know why you think i only look at a chart lol
    a all rounded investor should know all the skills in my opinion

but anyway from your cut and pasting i assume your following buffet because of his bet on oil
    but why is buffet betting on oil

He hadn't 'bet on oil' back when I started, he had just lent OXY the 10 on the preferred. This was Q3 2019.

It should be obvious why he's got a large energy position. I alluded to the reasons a few minutes ago.

I also bought 5 separate companies last year that Buffett also bought.

But I bought them before anyone knew that he had.

Oil is ripping. NZD is dropping. I filled up the car today. A Black Monday.

Imagine if oil investments don't become "stranded assets" in the next 10 years as the EU, UN and Environmental groups have warned. Imagine taking investment advice from politicians and environmental NGOs.

Peak oil demand is expected to come in 2030. By 2050 the demand will still be around 2022 levels or more or less 100m barrels a day.

Vanguard's VDE, it's energy ETF, has a P/E of 8. I have a small amount of money it - around $9000 USD. I do reinvest all dividends. Maybe over 30 years it will turn into a decent amount. I'll use the money for a world cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    He hadn't 'bet on oil' back when I started, he had just lent OXY the 10 on the preferred. This was Q3 2019.

It should be obvious why he's got a large energy position. I alluded to the reasons a few minutes ago.

I also bought 5 separate companies last year that Buffett also bought.

But I bought them before anyone knew that he had.
    i have to go polish my chart screens shortly cause im off to other things

so briefly
    you know buffett started buying oxy a yr ago biggly and increased more of it recently so to me in saying i dont view it as a value play is more my thinking buffet is using oxy as an inflation hedge play which fits into how oxy should be played from an historical perspective

thats why i was ribbing you about you being a trader/investor as i dont see oxy as a value play

anyway gotto go
    Last edited by bull....; 03-04-2023 at 03:28 PM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Oil is ripping. NZD is dropping. I filled up the car today. A Black Monday.

Imagine if oil investments don't become "stranded assets" in the next 10 years as the EU, UN and Environmental groups have warned. Imagine taking investment advice from politicians and environmental NGOs.

Peak oil demand is expected to come in 2030. By 2050 the demand will still be around 2022 levels or more or less 100m barrels a day.

Vanguard's VDE, it's energy ETF, has a P/E of 8. I have a small amount of money it - around $9000 USD. I do reinvest all dividends. Maybe over 30 years it will turn into a decent amount. I'll use the money for a world cruise.

They won't, that is guaranteed.

VDE is a great way to play it. Also FENY.

A huge part of the thesis is all the negativity and attacks the industry suffers as well as access to finance.

Production is being made very difficult while demand continues on trend.

Check out per capita oil usage for an Indian vs American.

Guru

I'm sick of going up against Bull, like a provincial girls 15 against the All Blacks.

Astounding statement from White House official talking head Karine Jean-Pierre:

“We are deeply concerned about the transition of Brazil and China to national currencies when conducting mutual settlements. This is a violation of the rights of our citizens who rely on a stable dollar exchange rate on the world market .

America will not allow other countries to dictate their terms to it in mutual trade. We want to warn that the violation of the rights of ordinary Americans will not remain without consequences for these countries.

WTF!
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Astounding statement from White House official talking head Karine Jean-Pierre:

“We are deeply concerned about the transition of Brazil and China to national currencies when conducting mutual settlements. This is a violation of the rights of our citizens who rely on a stable dollar exchange rate on the world market .

America will not allow other countries to dictate their terms to it in mutual trade. We want to warn that the violation of the rights of ordinary Americans will not remain without consequences for these countries.

WTF!
    think this might well be an "april fools joke"... but I think its pretty close to the truth .. just look at History any nation that wants to ditch the USD in OIL trade ...

https://twitter.com/TheThe1776/statu...419470848?s=20
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    think this might well be an "april fools joke"... but I think its pretty close to the truth .. just look at History any nation that wants to ditch the USD in OIL trade ...

https://twitter.com/TheThe1776/statu...419470848?s=20
    Pretty late for fools day ... slow fool?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)