sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    I always find it quite incredible that wealthy people think they no best for the blue collar worker. It's like men thinking they know best for women...

Lucky we have a democracy which will never allow such I'll advised & unsavory policy to see the light of day.

Interesting take you have on the minimum wage in the US ValueNZ. Stating that it was introduced to prevent Black people from working for less than white. Like they had a choice.
    The correct way to look at it is it was to prevent employers taking advantage of black people and pay them the same as everyone else.
    Daytr I am 17 years old and I am myself not wealthy, although I do have more money then most other teenagers my age from working. My views of the minimum wage come from my experience working on it, and the fact that for 5 whole years of wanting to do some work I was unable to. That is, I was willing to work for a low wage and an employer would have been happy to pay me a low wage, but for whatever reason it is deemed immoral by society to pay me too low a wage. New Zealand has some of the worst teenager unemployment rates in the world and it is due to the minimum wage laws.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    I always find it quite incredible that wealthy people think they no best for the blue collar worker. It's like men thinking they know best for women...

Lucky we have a democracy which will never allow such I'll advised & unsavory policy to see the light of day.

Interesting take you have on the minimum wage in the US ValueNZ. Stating that it was introduced to prevent Black people from working for less than white. Like they had a choice.
    The correct way to look at it is it was to prevent employers taking advantage of black people and pay them the same as everyone else.

Here is a chronicle of the history of the minimum wage. I didn't realise NZ was the first country to implement one in 1894. Something to be proud of.

It also refers to the 1938 US example and from what it says it was more about protecting women & children than black people. I really wonder what tmyou are reading to arrive at such distorted views.

https://www.ilo.org/global/topics/wa...minimum%20wage.

Who said anything about ValueNZ being wealthy?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    Daytr I am 17 years old and I am myself not wealthy, although I do have more money then most other teenagers my age from working. My views of the minimum wage come from my experience working on it, and the fact that for 5 whole years of wanting to do some work I was unable to. That is, I was willing to work for a low wage
    Thankfully we have child labour laws too - something you would like to have reviewed?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    Daytr I am 17 years old and I am myself not wealthy, although I do have more money then most other teenagers my age from working. My views of the minimum wage come from my experience working on it, and the fact that for 5 whole years of wanting to do some work I was unable to. That is, I was willing to work for a low wage and an employer would have been happy to pay me a low wage, but for whatever reason it is deemed immoral by society to pay me too low a wage. New Zealand has some of the worst teenager unemployment rates in the world and it is due to the minimum wage laws.

Put that in yer pipe and smoke it Daytr.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Thankfully we have child labour laws too - something you would like to have reviewed?
    Sure would! I am all for voluntary transactions between parties.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post

I think ValueNZ was quite clear about this... I have been working since I was 7 on the family farm as many of my mates did as well.

Nothing wrong with kids helping the family out on farms and small businesses.

I enjoyed getting paid cash to work at the engineering workshop with my Dad as young as 10. He and my grandfather taught me workshop safety from a young age as both had operational businesses in the garage at home.

I think I used to make about 5 bucks an hour and work a full day during school holidays - bloody good for me, learnt about workplace culture and teamwork. Would do finishing work on drill presses, operate automated lathes, thread cutting machines. I don't recall being taken advantage of in the slightest.

Banned

I think we're all on the same page here in that we want to see Blue collar workers obtain the most goods and services that they can per hour worked.

In order for this to happen, we need to create a $hitload of goods and services.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatestben View Post
    I enjoyed getting paid cash to work at the engineering workshop with my Dad as young as 10. He and my grandfather taught me workshop safety from a young age as both had operational businesses in the garage at home.

I think I used to make about 5 bucks an hour and work a full day during school holidays - bloody good for me, learnt about workplace culture and teamwork. Would do finishing work on drill presses, operate automated lathes, thread cutting machines. I don't recall being taken advantage of in the slightest.

You are making the Panda cry!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatestben View Post
    Why weren't you in school ?