sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Why weren't you in school ?

"I enjoyed getting paid cash to work at the engineering workshop with my Dad as young as 10. He and my grandfather taught me workshop safety from a young age as both had operational businesses in the garage at home.

I think I used to make about 5 bucks an hour and work a full day during school holidays - bloody good for me, learnt about workplace culture and teamwork. Would do finishing work on drill presses, operate automated lathes, thread cutting machines. I don't recall being taken advantage of in the slightest".

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    Sure would! I am all for voluntary transactions between parties.
    LOL. Send ‘‘em up the chimneys before they too big, worn out and uppity.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    LOL. Send ‘‘em up the chimneys before they too big, worn out and uppity.
    Not old enough to buy a drink but old enough to get your fingers chopped off at dad's sawmill.

- ValuesNZ

Not old enough to buy a drink but old enough to get your fingers chopped off at dad's sawmill.

- ValuesNZ
    Very nice argument Panda-NZ. Attack the individual instead of provide reasons as to why you believe you're correct.

Guru

- ValuesNZ

It was thegreatestben who posted about working in his fathers engineering workshop.

Without men like him, you wouldn't be able to enjoy your life of welfare.

It actually should be much higher, wages should follow productivity increases and they really haven't (even with NZ's flat rate of improvement in productivity).

Workers have been ripped off for decades.
    How much higher Panda? $30 an hour? $40? $100? $1000?

Daytr I am 17 years old and I am myself not wealthy, although I do have more money then most other teenagers my age from working. My views of the minimum wage come from my experience working on it, and the fact that for 5 whole years of wanting to do some work I was unable to. That is, I was willing to work for a low wage and an employer would have been happy to pay me a low wage, but for whatever reason it is deemed immoral by society to pay me too low a wage. New Zealand has some of the worst teenager unemployment rates in the world and it is due to the minimum wage laws.
    Perhaps I was seeing your future ValueNZ.

The children that were being protected were being sent down mines or doing other dangerous work and some of them not even teenagers.

I do understand having youth labour rates can make sense in some instances but it's simply not true that NZ has one of the worst teenager unemployment rates in the world.

The minimum wage isn't just about teenagers of course but the quarter million plus workers that are on the minimum wage.

Another thing to note is that in the last few years, since the minimum wage has gone up sharply, teenage unemployment has gone down in NZ.

I started my first business at age 17 & had five employees, including my father. I negotiated the contract rate for the work we performed and we all did very well out of it.

I admire your endeavor, all the best to you.
    Last edited by Daytr; 06-06-2023 at 04:26 PM.

Guru

$30/h seems fine given where unemployment is (a statistic the right ignore when it suits them, like now with a $21/hr MW).

Guru

And also please tell us how much you have tipped minimum wage workers when you have had goods and services provided by their labour, as you are free to top up their wage as you see fit?

You can harp on all you like that it should be higher but what are you doing yourself?

Guru

$30/h seems fine given where unemployment is (a statistic the right ignore when it suits them, like now with a $21/hr MW).
    And do you think this would be inflationary?