sharetrader
Page 15 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925651155151015 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Good luck with that one Sgt Pepper.
    Careful you may be done for insubordination! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    Major
    As an Economist can you make a comment to us non economists on the significance of Chinas massive reserves being in US Dollars in the current environment? Thanks
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Deflation.
    I wasnt going to mention it, but it did cross my mind yesterday..... And what do you want to hold - cash! as its buying power increases!

Quote Originally Posted by LAC View Post
    Hi All,
    Can someone please comment/give their opinion on this.
    I see so much of selling and my portfolio is in red like most people on here but 90% of the shares I own are all dividend paying shares with PE's between 10-20. I have not sold anything and I know as many on here have stated - when things get this bad sell sell sell, I am only 30 and I see with just dividends alone for the next couple years will bring me back in the black. I just don't really understand how taking the losses now and putting the $ in the bank with 3% interest or 5% on my investment property would be better than letting this play out. Is my thinking completely wrong? Should I be protecting capital?
    A heck of a lot depends upon your personal financial circumstances. At a guess at age 30 I would say if you need some of the money in a few years for a house deposit, if you're about to have a new baby or need some of the money for another reason soon or think your job is insecure (e.g. the Glenbrook steel workers) then common sense suggests you need to take steps to mitigate the risk of the market correction e.g. sell half. OTOH if you have no near term need for access to your capital and are in a secure well paid job or secure self employment earning good income then progressively dollar cost averaging down and selectively buying opportunities gradually over the next few weeks might make sense. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    and TTK was a while ago

You picking real winners now mate
    Your post inspired me to look at TTK. Up 10 cents in the last hour - was this you buying?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

The recovery is beginning, now that the retail investors have "finished jumping ship", less emotional institutional investors are beginning to see the fundamentals are still very strong... NZX 50 now up almost 1% from the lows (now only down 1.6%) and ASX didn't have a "blood bath" like some were expecting (was down 0.8%), now actually up... so:

ladies and gentlemen... Start your buying!

Banned

Gee nothing black about Spark hit $3.16 not long ago, got this one right anyway.

spark rocks
    one step ahead of the herd

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    spark rocks
    Yep back over $3.30 before the divvy I reckon.

Guru

ASX up almost 1%... well bears I hope you enjoyed your day and a half... but the bulls are back in business

Guru

sorry ASX up 1.2%, and NZX down less than 1% (its moving up so fast I am struggling to keep up...)