sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    Why wouldn't you be in equities right now... So many cheap stocks. Just avoid the ones that are massively overvalued like tesla and nvida and there's no way you won't do well.
    Really is that right you study stocks from the start of a bull market. OK you keep that up.

Who said not to invest in stocks? Not me.
    Right now it's just not one of the few opportunities of a lifetime is it?

So the question to you is the same to SailorRob.
    What are all these cheap stocks you refer to?

SR seems to have morphed into some form of online sock puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Really is that right you study stocks from the start of a bull market. OK you keep that up.

Who said not to invest in stocks? Not me.
    Right now it's just not one of the few opportunities of a lifetime is it?

So the question to you is the same to SailorRob.
    What are all these cheap stocks you refer to?
    "I assume you are all chips in then with that sort of confidence?", I inferred incorrectly that you were not in equities due to this statement. My apologies.

Still there are plenty of stocks available for cheap. In the New Zealand market pretty much all of the retirement village stocks, apart from Radius, are dirt cheap.
    Credit to SailorRob for pointing out Stellantis in the property trust thread which is also dirt cheap, net cash high and low P/E.

Compare Stellantis's financial statements with Tesla's for example, that really highlights the extreme discount the market has set on Stellantis.

Plenty of opportunities out there, you don't even have to look that hard to find them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    The Russell 2000 is a very comprehensive list of smaller cap listed companies in the US. I don't believe it includes any if the top 25 let alone the top 1000.

You can't help yourself having a cheap nasty shot when you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

All I am saying is, this not many times in a lifetime value you make out is just a tad of an overstatement when shares have been on average 10% cheaper very recently & in 2020 which was a once in a decade opportunity stocks were down around 40% only to rally sharply back to almost doubling from their lows.

I assume you are all chips in then with that sort of confidence?

All I am saying is, this not many times in a lifetime value you make out is just a tad of an overstatement when shares have been on average 10% cheaper very recently

That's a fair statement, value was even better then. But still lots of stuff out there that is mind-blowingly cheap. Remember it's not about stock prices. Value is stock prices in relation to intrinsic value. They can rally hard and still be cheaper.

Generally speaking there is a lot of stuff out there that you will only get a shot at like this a few times.

I assume you are all chips in then with that sort of confidence

Dude, I'm not the Daytrader I can't time the markets, I'm all chips in at least 100% of the time always. But yes with value like was on offer from mid last year I'm much more than 100% chips in, I borrowed to buy a ton more Berkshire at $265 last year as well as a bunch of other stuff. Being leveraged into this market has been rewarding. Even though I've had a huge META position, it's been tough keeping up with the S&P year to date, currently slightly trailing. And yes META is expensive and I'm out.

Anyone holding a single note of native bird picture paper with Big Grant and Orr in control of it's value instead of a range of incredible cash producing businesses that are selling for 15% plus earnings yields and growing at least with inflation... Well damn. That's what makes a market.

My whole portfolio trades well under 10 x earnings... So much to choose from it's hard work keeping the portfolio small.

But hold your bird paper, I'm sure you'll get even better yields in future.
    Last edited by SailorRob; 17-07-2023 at 01:05 PM.

Best way to compare share prices is not between covid-19
    period and now. One has to study stock prices from the beginning of current major bull market
    and now(from 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by Valuegrowth View Post
    Best way to compare share prices is not between covid-19
    period and now. One has to study stock prices from the beginning of current major bull market
    and now(from 2009).
    I think your developer needs to update your code.

if post in allPosts:
    rewritePost();
    else:
    sendPost();

lol

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    All I am saying is, this not many times in a lifetime value you make out is just a tad of an overstatement when shares have been on average 10% cheaper very recently

That's a fair statement, value was even better then. But still lots of stuff out there that is mind-blowingly cheap. Remember it's not about stock prices. Value is stock prices in relation to intrinsic value. They can rally hard and still be cheaper.

Generally speaking there is a lot of stuff out there that you will only get a shot at like this a few times.

I assume you are all chips in then with that sort of confidence

Dude, I'm not the Daytrader I can't time the markets, I'm all chips in at least 100% of the time always. But yes with value like was on offer from mid last year I'm much more than 100% chips in, I borrowed to buy a ton more Berkshire at $265 last year as well as a bunch of other stuff. Being leveraged into this market has been rewarding. Even though I've had a huge META position, it's been tough keeping up with the S&P year to date, currently slightly trailing. And yes META is expensive and I'm out.

Anyone holding a single note of native bird picture paper with Big Grant and Orr in control of it's value instead of a range of incredible cash producing businesses that are selling for 15% plus earnings yields and growing at least with inflation... Well damn. That's what makes a market.

My whole portfolio trades well under 10 x earnings... So much to choose from it's hard work keeping the portfolio small.

But hold your bird paper, I'm sure you'll get even better yields in future.
    So maybe not the mug professional trader that you regularly insult.
    Honestly your obvious contempt for the professional traders as you put it and you really have no understanding of how they generally perform otherwise you wouldn't say such dumb uninformed comments about people who only keep their jobs if they perform & perform strongly, they are also paid massive bonuses if they perform.

My guess, but who knows how your mind works, you are referring to managed funds etc I.e investment managers & brokers etc.
    These aren't traders, let alone wholesale traders who are at the sharp end of the market and in scale.

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    I think your developer needs to update your code.

if post in allPosts:
    rewritePost();
    else:
    sendPost();

lol
    Yeah I have wondered at times as 'their' comments are a bit robotic at times.

Mr Market need both investors and traders. Traders create liquidity in the market. Investors bring stability.Successful, experienced investors and traders have their own winning statergies. I have my own statergy.

all hail the AI
    one step ahead of the herd