sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2023/07/i...oogle_vignette

Interesting snipet on inflation here. The war doesnt appear to be a significant cause looking at this.

On another matter, why is our NZD so weak and will get it stronger? I have a small percentage of my money in a fund hedged to NZD. I want to make all my funds unhedged but I'm not doing so until it goes up. Will the NZD strengthen or will the NZD go the way of the Rand or Turkish Lira? Or is this not a fair comparison?

I'll tell you what though: having 90 per cent of my money unhedged has helped my investments, as of yesterday, to reach an all time high. Theyre now slightly higher than in December 2021. Feels good to be back on top. There and Back Again - an 18 month journey.

Of course if i add inflation in - its still a sh@t show. An absolute cluster fuc@. My buying power has gone down drastically and I am much much poorer.
    NZ loses many of its great companies, that would help support a strong currency, to other countries as NZ capital prioritises investment in land.

Long term, my guess is that the NZD will go much lower if co-governance gets off the ground and/or ever manifests itself in an appointee chamber of parliament.

Unlike RSA we don't have many precious minerals and unlike Turkey we are not strategically located.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 26-07-2023 at 07:18 AM.

Home building costs up 9.5%, but the increases are slowing
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/pro...es-are-slowing

Median weekly rents climb to record high on Trade Me

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/pro...gh-on-trade-me

sticky inflation still , anyway good to see stat's dept going to release mthly inflation data points from end of yr
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by Azz View Post
    Congratulations, you've cornered the market in patronizing pomposity.
    I was being genuine.
    Nice unsolicited snipe though
    Just in case your radar is off as much as it appears, that last comment was sarcasm.
    Last edited by Daytr; 26-07-2023 at 08:29 AM.

@Bjauck, good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    NZ loses many of its great companies, that would help support a strong currency, to other countries as NZ capital prioritises investment in land.

Long term, my guess is that the NZD will go much lower if co-governance gets off the ground and/or ever manifests itself in an appointee chamber of parliament.

Unlike RSA we don't have many precious minerals and unlike Turkey we are not strategically located.
    Hi Bjauck, pretty pleased not to be strategically located to be honest.
    Unlikely co-governance sees light of day bit not sure it would have much impact on the NZD if it did.
    Our strategic advantage is our climate & environment for growing & seeing things (tourism).
    It's a pity we aren't looking after our environment and largely treat it as a bovine latrine.

Guru

Hi Bjauck, pretty pleased not to be strategically located to be honest
    Sure, it has its pros and cons. NZ has fought over the Dardanelles but Turkey hasn’t bothered about Cook Strait.

Unlikely co-governance sees light of day bit not sure it would have much impact on the NZD if it did.
    Sure, co-governance as policy in an election manifesto would probably not succeed. Anyway, any effect is conjecture and would depend on particular kaumātua?

Our strategic advantage is our climate & environment for growing & seeing things (tourism).
    Climate change willing? That also comes up up against carbon neutral policies. Will there be penalties for being so far away from tourist markets? Headlines today are that the Atlantic currents and convections are reaching a critical point sooner rather than later.

It's a pity we aren't looking after our environment and largely treat it as a bovine latrine.
    NZ’s economy developed as Britain’s farm, and now mostly China’s with little change - or appetite for the hard reforms to change it, imho.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    I was being genuine.
    Just in case your radar is off as much as it appears, that last comment was sarcasm.
    I know you were Daytr, cheers. Lots of misunderstanding about QE.

Banned

I was being genuine.
    "I commend you on your understanding of quantitative easing, as most don't have any idea what it is or the impact of it, displayed in a few comments here."

I just don't like the attitude, "most don't have any idea what it is", what an arrogant statement.
    Last edited by Azz; 26-07-2023 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azz View Post
    "I commend you on your understanding of quantitative easing, as most don't have any idea what it is or the impact of it, displayed in a few comments here."

I just don't like the attitude, "most don't have any idea what it is", what an arrogant statement.
    I really don't care what you don't like.

Banned

I really don't care what you don't like.
    More arrogance.