sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Azz View Post
    I don't think you know much about either Bitcoin or art. What would be better for you would be to either learn about them, or to stay out of the fray. Otherwise, it's a bit like me commenting on the pros and cons of local nail salons: I can certainly say something but I really would have no idea what to say.
    I know enough to know that they are unproductive assets that has their price dictated purely through speculation.

If I were to buy a nail salon I would treat it exactly like any other form of investment. What cash can it produce, and with what certainty can I predict these future cash flows.

Art produces NOTHING and therefore I would pay NOTHING for art as an investment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    I know enough to know that they are unproductive assets that has their price dictated purely through speculation.

If I were to buy a nail salon I would treat it exactly like any other form of investment. What cash can it produce, and with what certainty can I predict these future cash flows.

Art produces NOTHING and therefore I would pay NOTHING for art as an investment.
    So, if you'd had the opportunity in the early 1960s to buy an Andy Warhol for 250 bucks - you would be proud to have turned that down?

I'll add that I love the idea of cryptocurrency as the primary currency used worldwide. I am a libertarian at heart and I'm sick and tired of central banks messing with the supply of money.

Does it make it a good investment? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Azz View Post
    So, if you'd had the opportunity in the early 1960s to buy an Andy Warhol for 250 bucks - you would be proud to have turned that down?
    Hindsight is 20/20.

How could you predict out of tens of thousands of artists that this one artist would have their art be worth so much?

On the doghouse

Not quite true. If you built up a good enough art collection you could start your own gallery and charge at the door. There is your cashflow. But if instead you built up a digital collection of failed shamcoin, well, good luck waiting for a queue of people to come to your door to look at those.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Banned

I'll add that I love the idea of cryptocurrency as the primary currency used worldwide. I am a libertarian at heart and I'm sick and tired of central banks messing with the supply of money.

Does it make it a good investment? No.
    Best investment in history, actually.

Rome wasn't built in a day. The 20 years it will take for Bitcoin yearly highs and lows to get closer and closer together (ie, stability) will mean big payoff for those on the ground, first, second floors of this incredible 4-storey asset.

A mortgage free home and passive income to cover day to day life is a luxury I worked hard for. I would never put that at risk. Anything specie is done with spare monies. Im not 25 and I have generations following me who can't eat art or crypto.
    I thought kfl warrants looked a little specie today 🤔

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Not quite true. If you built up a good enough art collection you could start your own gallery and charge at the door. There is your cashflow. But if instead you built up a digital collection of failed shamcoin, well, good luck waiting for a queue of people to come to your door to look at those.
    "Failed" huh. Interesting. Guess you don't hold it!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post

SNOOPY
    Good point but I am sure Azz is referring to investment into art for the hope of capital appreciation, probably through masterworks or some sham site.

Banned

Hindsight is 20/20.

How could you predict out of tens of thousands of artists that this one artist would have their art be worth so much?
    That wasn't the point of my question.