sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    That's when I get excited!
    So you've always got a pool of cash to draw on even to add,top-up,when fully or near fully invested,how do you achieve that.?
    Am curious what stocks you hold and you sell when you believe full value is in the shareprice?Your skillset is far beyond this mere mortal, I follow Value Investors some who are friends.Thanks!

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Evening all, please see below.

"Sailor Rob wishes to thank supporters. He has been banned for 'too many complaints' He wants to say that he doesn't even know how to complain about anyone and never would dream of it. He thinks it best that ideas are best debated not censored. He asks why nobody has complained to him instead of weaseling to the teacher. He wishes to remind all that the value of anything is simply the sum of the net cash that will be generated from the enterprise between now and eternity discounted back to today. He suggests using a discount rate of between 10 and 15%. He says to focus on both the certainty and the timing. If no cash is generated next year this simply burdens the future even more."
    Hope he chooses to come back after his ban (or is it permanent, I will complain if so and urge others to as well)?) period,he adds a hell of a lot of value to the threads and this site would be the poorer without him.,Just too much snowflaking going on here.

If he was banned because snowflakes, then said sknowflake's haven't spent enough time in other sections of this forum to really read the vitriol.

Sailor Rob acknowledged the value of index/etf investing and how many people on this site would be better off with that approach. It's an important point.

Since becoming a Boglehead of sorts, Ivd got little to add now to NZ Sharetrader.

One final point I will make before I head off: Pak and Save rump steak per kg is $14.79 today. Also, the Taverners brand wine gums at The Warehouse are exceptional in my opinion. Absolutely worth a try.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    If he was banned because snowflakes, then said sknowflake's haven't spent enough time in other sections of this forum to really read the vitriol.
    Vitriol Get a life and stop taking things personally,it's not about you,it's banter ,it's ego ,mixed in with valuable opinions and knowledge worth considering or not,we are richer for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    So you've always got a pool of cash to draw on even to add,top-up,when fully or near fully invested,how do you achieve that.?
    Am curious what stocks you hold and you sell when you believe full value is in the shareprice?Your skillset is far beyond this mere mortal, I follow Value Investors some who are friends.Thanks!
    I definitely do not have a pool of cash to add to my investments, if I had any cash available which I didn't need for expenses the funds would be invested immediately. The reason why a market crash would be beneficial for me, is because I am a net buyer of stocks and I am likely to be for the next 40+ years. If stock prices are falling whilst intrinsic value (sum of future discounted cash flows) remains constant, then I am better off as I am presented with the opportunity to purchase these cash flows at a cheaper rate than before. Even if I do not have much cash currently, I will be earning income in the future and earning dividend yields on my stock which can be invested. Plus, low stock prices provide the businesses I am invested in with the opportunity to repurchase shares, which means that even if I am not actively purchasing stock myself I am still better off with a lower share price.

This is not my prediction, but the ideal scenario for me would be a stock market that crashes as low as possible, as long as possible whilst not impacting the cash generating abilities of businesses too much. I do believe I am better off with a depressed market than an exuberant market in the long run.

Currently I only hold two stocks, Oceania healthcare and Stellantis. Both are companies which I believe are significantly undervalued and should outperform the SP500 over the next ten years. As I gain experience I should be able to expand the number of shareholdings, but I wont do that at the expense of a worse long term result. I would prefer more volatility in my returns and a higher CAGR, than to diversify amongst worse companies and have less volatility but a lower CAGR.

Please take what I write with a grain of salt. I am 17 years old, so not a lot of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Vitriol Get a life and stop taking things personally,it's not about you,it's banter ,it's ego ,mixed in with valuable opinions and knowledge worth considering or not,we are richer for it.
    Joshuatree. I take nothing personally mate. Its an observation. Indeed, I was suggesting that there are sensitive types on this forum that do not have the stomach for some of the comments. You obviously haven't spent anytime in the Elections section and that is where I was referring to. I'm sorry its not banter. Its idealism and the 'passion' thats goes with that.

Banned

You're correct. I'm not in the business of predicting companies share prices, I'm in the business of purchasing stock in companies with cheap share prices despite favourable fundamentals. If you can't discern the difference that shows lack of knowledge on your part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azz View Post
    There's no difference; you're still predicting the future. You may have seen favourable fundamentals in BlackBerry, for example - before Jobs brought to market the iPhone.
    ValueNZ, you haven't commented on my post...

Guru

I definitely do not have a pool of cash to add to my investments, if I had any cash available which I didn't need for expenses the funds would be invested immediately. The reason why a market crash would be beneficial for me, is because I am a net buyer of stocks and I am likely to be for the next 40+ years. If stock prices are falling whilst intrinsic value (sum of future discounted cash flows) remains constant, then I am better off as I am presented with the opportunity to purchase these cash flows at a cheaper rate than before. Even if I do not have much cash currently, I will be earning income in the future and earning dividend yields on my stock which can be invested. Plus, low stock prices provide the businesses I am invested in with the opportunity to repurchase shares, which means that even if I am not actively purchasing stock myself I am still better off with a lower share price.

This is not my prediction, but the ideal scenario for me would be a stock market that crashes as low as possible, as long as possible whilst not impacting the cash generating abilities of businesses too much. I do believe I am better off with a depressed market than an exuberant market in the long run.

Currently I only hold two stocks, Oceania healthcare and Stellantis. Both are companies which I believe are significantly undervalued and should outperform the SP500 over the next ten years. As I gain experience I should be able to expand the number of shareholdings, but I wont do that at the expense of a worse long term result. I would prefer more volatility in my returns and a higher CAGR, than to diversify amongst worse companies and have less volatility but a lower CAGR.

Please take what I write with a grain of salt. I am 17 years old, so not a lot of experience.
    Good for you ValueNZ for starting so young. You should become wealthy if you earn, save and invest more than you spend.
    I find this site invaluable for "expert" opinions
    https://www.marketscreener.com/quote...MITED-6492393/
    https://www.marketscreener.com/quote...N-V-117814143/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    get back to discussing markets, instead of [...] a barrage of personal insults & attacks.
    Hypocrite. You're one of the worst.