sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    There are many types of hedge funds. As I keep saying I am talking about individual traders cross asset proprietary trading.

Most years they would beat the return of the S&P by multiples.
    And the years they don't will pull their CAGR down well below the market.

Otherwise they're all on NZ rich list.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Blackcap is 100% correct and this is well known in the industry.

What he says is backed by all the data that exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    And the years they don't will pull their CAGR down well below the market.

Otherwise they're all on NZ rich list.
    My career was overseas I wouldn't have a clue in NZ and there aren't too many prop funds in NZ I'm aware of. And if you are smart you avoid those lists. But John Key is an obvious one though he probably made his big money off his traders backs when he ran the business unit in the States.

Anyway you asked for a name & I gave you Sorros and also a list of prop funds that have beaten the S&P hands down & these returns will be lower than the actual prop trader returns, let alone their top traders.
    But that's not good enough for you, so you can remain blissfully ignorant.

Guru

Who was saying history is no predictor of the future? Yep it was a great investment up to 5 years ago. And one to get out of five years ago and if that money was just invested in any of the major indices your return would have been well more than doubled or even tripled.

I'm asking SailorRob, not you, why it's a good investment now.
    Is that not a reasonable question?
    Why do you think you can lecture someone?

Buffet also bought Para, take a look at the performance since he bought. I wonder how many followed him into that quicksand?

I saw Charlie Monger at the recent annual address, munching on crackers or something as he spoke. He made Biden look sprightly.
    No doubt they have had incredible success, however I do wonder if like all good things, they come to an end.

No doubt their holdings will see Berkshire do well no matter what, I am more circumspect about their stock picking going forward though.
    Any ideas what Berkshire bought PARA at ?

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    Any ideas what Berkshire bought PARA at ?
    Around $30. It's not possible to tell their exact purchase price.

Keep it up champ. Instead of making bad assumptions try & learn something as it's getting tiresome.

Do you seriously think Traders in banks measure & report their own returns?
    And they don't give a %$#@ about the S&P as a comparison. All they care about is making bonus which is measured purely on P&L.

Each day your P&L, VaR on open positions
    is produced each day by a middle office accountant to be signed off by the trader that they agree the financial reporting.

Getting a bit sick & tired of explaining this to rude & ignorant people who don't have a clue about the market outside their own little world.
    And it's not like we haven't been here before.

CAGR 藍 Freakin amateur hour.

Off to the shed to do something productive.
    yep your right cagr meanss shi.t to traders who work for banks , hedgefunds. best traders can negotiate there pay most traders get jack or sack till they prove to company they good then move up pecking order in firm .
    if you top trader paid on p&l of company results so say if hedge fund make 100m in profit trader might get 5% of this so 5m for the trader this just example top traders can get more of % of profit. being trader in firm is massively high stress and people come go all the time thru burn out and sack. far more relaxing do it yourself if you can after you made some big bonuses.
    one step ahead of the herd

AFR headline Warren Buffett shows his fear by dumping the most shares since 2008

Must be zillions of greedy punters out there if Warren selling
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

I spent years in NZ then the UK doing the accounting for traders.
    I've had my fair share of milkshakes and profit and loss statements thrown at me and shouted at across the trading floor.

I bet you it's all pretty tame in comparison now days compared to the 90s and early 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    AFR headline Warren Buffett shows his fear by dumping the most shares since 2008

That is wrong. That headline was printed 2 years ago, See https://www.afr.com/world/north-amer...0211109-p59771

These last 12 months Warren has sold only about 10% of his share portfolio, which is sub-normal sales - given FFR has kept rising throughout the year, and he needed cash for reinsurance blowouts.

Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway sells stocks as cash pile swells to record levels
    https://www.ft.com/content/4ec10c1b-...6-e2ff47435dd5

WB Buy stocks at a substantial discount to their fundamental book value. Something to learn from this value guru. Other punters are buying over valued current hot stocks. currently, market valuations have become increasingly stretched. If I am correct growth stocks are trading more than 3.3 times of value stocks. I am fearful more than before. More and more crises are adding to existing crisis. Insurance expenses and rents are also skyrocketing worldwide. Huge increased rents and insurance cost could hit many industries including farmers.

QUOTE=winner69;1028433]AFR headline Warren Buffett shows his fear by dumping the most shares since 2008

Must be zillions of greedy punters out there if Warren selling[/QUOTE]

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

U being naughty W69 !! Why ? Forgot to close some shorts mate ??