sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I spent years in NZ then the UK doing the accounting for traders.
    I've had my fair share of milkshakes and profit and loss statements thrown at me and shouted at across the trading floor.

I bet you it's all pretty tame in comparison now days compared to the 90s and early 2000s.
    Yep those were the days, good & bad, but a lot of fun.
    Some of the antics that went on in those days in London & elsewhere I'm sure, certainly wouldn't be tolerated now & I'm not referring to the trading...
    Last edited by Daytr; 05-11-2023 at 06:35 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Yep those were the days, goid & bad, but a lot of fun.
    Some of the antics that went on in those days in London & elsewhere I'm sure certainly wouldn't be tolerated now & I'm not referring to the trading...
    So the Wolf of Wall Street had nothing on the Bombard of Lombard?

Banned

Daytr, can you answer one question for me, even a yes or no is fine.

If I or someone else was a billionaire and could employ these traders you've been referring to, on similar terms to the banks, so give them the capital to trade and bonuses etc...

Could they then create returns on the capital I provided that exceed the returns of the S&P 500 over say 10 years? Assuming they could trade in any asset class with any leverage they saw fit to.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Could they then create returns on the capital I provided that exceed the returns of the S&P 500 over say 10 years? Assuming they could trade in any asset class with any leverage they saw fit to.
    Yes, easily

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beacon View Post
    Yes, easily
    Thanks for your input Bacon but your opinion is not required on this occasion.

Guru

ignore him beacon.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Yep those were the days, good & bad, but a lot of fun.
    Some of the antics that went on in those days in London & elsewhere I'm sure, certainly wouldn't be tolerated now & I'm not referring to the trading...
    I was on my OE in the 1990’s in London. I knew several local Brits employed by the brokers, and they worked hard on research for international clients. They were paid handsomely and partied hard. They supported the Conservative Party as the Party that looks after ‘The City”.

Now these City Brits have had to move overseas as the City has been gutted as a result of their right-wing Conservative Party Brexit. Amsterdam has eclipsed London.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 06-11-2023 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Daytr, can you answer one question for me, even a yes or no is fine.

If I or someone else was a billionaire and could employ these traders you've been referring to, on similar terms to the banks, so give them the capital to trade and bonuses etc...

Cheers.
    So you want me to answer a theoretical?
    Who knows, its theoretical.

I have a few friends who trade wealthy people's money. The terms & returns are never disclosed.
    Also a few that trade family money, again what & how they trade is kept very confidential.

Anyway you are boring me with the same dumb questions in relation to the S&P.

As I have said who cares about the S&P.
    No one with any real word trading experience.
    Several others have backed up what I have said, I have given you examples when requested of prop funds smashing the returns of the S&P hands down, but you are still asking dumb yestions & not convinced.

Anyway they are generally paid a percentage of profits so returns have to be good to make enough for themselves to earn a good income & still pay a good return to the investor.

Now I really don't care if you believe me or not & this is just a repeat of a discussion not that long ago, so it's been done to death.
    Stay in your little bubble kid.

cagr mean jack to trader in bank/fund
    cagr is important if you are an individual investor

to different things you too talk about

one other thing when a trader leave bank/fund many cant trade as good with there own money as trading with own money is mentally an entirely different proposition to trading with someone else money esp if the profits are needed to put food on the table
    Last edited by bull....; 06-11-2023 at 08:20 AM.
    one step ahead of the herd