sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Thanks for the link. Except few charts others are very complex. I can clearly understand one thing when I look at S & P 500 index. Market is not cheap any longer. Chart has gone straight up from 2008 to 2023. At some point it will bend. Stock market cycles will repeat.

March 9, 2009, P/E (fwd.) 10.4x
    Jan. 3, 2022, P/E (fwd.) = 21.4x
    Dec. 31, 2023, P/E (fwd.) = 19.5x

Stil I can see one final leg in the current long bull market which started in 2008/2009. I am happy I already rebalanced my portfolio. Time to follow ideas of intelligent value investors and Jim Slater's Zulu Principle (Growth Investing mixed with Value thanks to Percy).
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 05-01-2024 at 09:03 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Valuegrowth View Post
    Thanks for the link. Except few charts others are very complex. I can clearly understand one thing when I look at S & P 500 index. Market is not cheap any longer. Chart has gone straight up from 2008 to 2023. At some point it will bend. Stock market cycles will repeat.

March 9, 2009, P/E (fwd.) 10.4x
    Jan. 3, 2022, P/E (fwd.) = 21.4x
    Dec. 31, 2023, P/E (fwd.) = 19.5x

Stil I can see one final leg in the current long bull market which started in 2008/2009. I am happy I already rebalanced my portfolio. Time to follow ideas of intelligent value investors and Jim Slater's Zulu Principle (Growth Investing mixed with Value thanks to Percy).

The market ex the highest valued 100 stocks is a cheap as you will see it outside of a 2009 or Covid crash.

Incredible value everywhere.

If you remove your head from your backside and forget the S&P500.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    The market ex the highest valued 100 stocks is a cheap as you will see it outside of a 2009 or Covid crash.

Incredible value everywhere.

If you remove your head from your backside and forget the S&P500.
    I agree there are undervalued stocks worldwide. They can separate from world indexes. Basically, I like strong balance sheet firms. Cash flow is king for me. Among value and growth stocks there are value and growth traps.

Punters are busy with magnificent stocks and speculative stocks. Contrarian intelligent investors are busy with identifying hidden gems, less known companies or out of favour companies. Those who go behind value are busy with identifying undervalued stocks.
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 05-01-2024 at 09:50 PM.

Guru

I agree there are undervalued stocks worldwide. They can separate from world indexes. Basically, I like strong balance sheet firms. Cash flow is king for me. Among value and growth stocks there are value and growth traps.

Punters are busy with magnificent stocks and speculative stocks. Contrarian intelligent investors are busy with identifying hidden gems, less known companies or out of favour companies. Those who go behind value are busy with identifying undervalued stocks.
    Give us an example of a couple of these companies you've identified.

I've never seen you talk about an individual company.

Anyone can re post links and spout incomprehensible garbage, let's talk about some companies.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Give us an example of a couple of these companies you've identified.

I've never seen you talk about an individual company.

Anyone can re post links and spout incomprehensible garbage, let's talk about some companies.

I will give two of them now. Currently, I have kept them on my radar.

Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A.(ISNPY)
    Shinhan Financial Group Co., Ltd.(SHG)

Few more:

Right now, Taiwan Semi-conductor is bit expensive. Baba and Baidu have value, but given the geopolitical issue, growth issue other issues they are vulnerable in the short run. If I am correct Ali Baba has a Lawsuit issue regarding Kelly Toys and it’s owned by BRKB through parent company Alleghany Corp. Few months back some analysts recommended to buy both Baba at $100 and Baidu $150 when other tech stocks were on fire. Today,Baba and Baidu are trading at $73 and 118 respectively. Still, I see risks. I am not keen that much on stocks now as I already rebalanced my portfolio to create long term shareholder value. Unless I find very attractive investment, I don’t have to do anything for my concentrated portfolio. Now It’s time to make use of Zulu principle and value principle.
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 06-01-2024 at 02:27 PM.

Guru

Few more:

Right now, Taiwan Semi-conductor is bit expensive. Baba and Baidu have value, but given the geopolitical issue, growth issue other issues they are vulnerable in the short run. If I am correct Ali Baba has a Lawsuit issue regarding Kelly Toys and it’s owned by BRKB through parent company Alleghany Corp. Few months back some analysts recommended to buy both Baba at $100 and Baidu $150 when other tech stocks were on fire. Today,Baba and Baidu are trading at $73 and 118 respectively. Still, I see risks. I am not keen that much on stocks now as I already rebalanced my portfolio to create long term shareholder value. Unless I find very attractive investment, I don’t have to do anything for my concentrated portfolio. Now It’s time to make use of Zulu principle and value principle.

Good post, cheers. Will review and reply.

Few more:

would love to know what stocks you do hold VG ?
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Fun fact I just saw on a Pensioncraft YouTube video.

In 1900 the UK made up 24 per cent of global share markets and the USA was 15 per cent.

In 2023 the UK is just 4 per cent (roughly the size of Apple) and the USA is 58 per cent.

The UK has become next to irrelevant on global markets. However, it is certainly much cheaper than US shares at the moment. If materials, energy and banks start to work again (which dominate the FTSE 100) I guess we all benefit from our exposure to the ASX200 (BHP, Rio - listed on both exchanges - Woodside, the big 5 banks) and we have the tax advantages.

Just a few random thoughts on this beautiful day.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 07-01-2024 at 11:30 AM.

The amount of IMPORT cargo reaching all worldwide ports has been plunging the last few weeks. Currently, import volumes are as low as the COVID shutdowns.

Shipping disruptions one cause ..but could indicate a slowing global economy
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Fun fact I just saw on a Pensioncraft YouTube video.

In 1900 the UK made up 24 per cent of global share markets and the USA was 15 per cent.

In 2023 the UK is just 4 per cent (roughly the size of Apple) and the USA is 58 per cent.

The UK has become next to irrelevant on global markets. However, it is certainly much cheaper than US shares at the moment. If materials, energy and banks start to work again (which dominate the FTSE 100) I guess we all benefit from our exposure to the ASX200 (BHP, Rio - listed on both exchanges - Woodside, the big 5 banks) and we have the tax advantages.

Just a few random thoughts on this beautiful day.
    I wonder what the difference was pre & post Brexit?
    London attracted a lot of money through the 1990s through to the GFC and competed with New York, Paris, Frankfurt etc attracting investment & talent.
    Not all legit money of course, especially out of Eastern Europe.