sharetrader
Page 1850 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 85013501750180018401846184718481849185018511852185318541860 ... LastLast
Results 18,491 to 18,500 of 18997

Thread: Black Monday

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    Bull was buying up around 76cents space. Rawz buy 59cents
    I will let Bull answer that ...but if my memory is still good then he was also buying sub 60 cents

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    I will let Bull answer that ...but if my memory is still good then he was also buying sub 60 cents
    oh okay he did well then

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    Bull was buying up around 76cents space. Rawz buy 59cents
    no i brought just above 60c and last yr they paid 4cps which i think was 7% yield if they do the same this yr that be about the same so yes tell alok good income stock at this time
    one step ahead of the herd

A2 aside, start of reporting season so far, has been very mediocre. either companies are under-performing, or the market is still pricing too high vs the current economic climate; both macro and micro pressures on NZ businesses much bigger than anticipated?

Guru

https://www.oaktreecapital.com/insights/memo/easy-money
    "The upshot of my sea change thesis is simple:

The period from 1980 through 2021 was generally one of declining and/or ultra-low interest rates.

This had profound ramifications in many areas, including determining which investment strategies would be the winners and losers.

That changed in 2022, when the Fed was forced to begin raising interest rates to combat inflation.

We’re unlikely to go back to such easy money conditions, other than temporarily in response to recessions.

Therefore, the investment environment in the coming years will feature higher interest rates than those we saw in 2009-21. Different strategies will outperform in the period ahead, and thus a different asset allocation is called for.

Bullet points one through three above are statements of fact and not controvertible. Consequently, the conclusion – number five – depends exclusively on whether number four is correct. The question is simple: do you agree with it or don’t you? If you agree, we have a host of solutions to propose."

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    https://www.oaktreecapital.com/insights/memo/easy-money
    "The upshot of my sea change thesis is simple:

The period from 1980 through 2021 was generally one of declining and/or ultra-low interest rates.

This had profound ramifications in many areas, including determining which investment strategies would be the winners and losers.

That changed in 2022, when the Fed was forced to begin raising interest rates to combat inflation.

We’re unlikely to go back to such easy money conditions, other than temporarily in response to recessions.

Therefore, the investment environment in the coming years will feature higher interest rates than those we saw in 2009-21. Different strategies will outperform in the period ahead, and thus a different asset allocation is called for.

Bullet points one through three above are statements of fact and not controvertible. Consequently, the conclusion – number five – depends exclusively on whether number four is correct. The question is simple: do you agree with it or don’t you? If you agree, we have a host of solutions to propose."
    No firm view on that. Sovereign debt imo is the next major issue to be addressed.
    Japan has excessive debt and an aging & declining population.
    China also has a similar problem and is not as solvable as Japan. Japan can open the floodgates to immigration whereas China is just so large and is likely only to lose more people than it gains.

US Government debt is also becoming a problem, particularly if interest rates remain high.
    So at some point either taxes in the US need to rise or interest rates need to return to a level where the debt is serviceable.

big day wall st tomorrow morning.... nvidia massive . options pricing a 10% swing eithier way no wonder some people baled ahead of it
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    No firm view on that. Sovereign debt imo is the next major issue to be addressed.
    Japan has excessive debt and an aging & declining population.
    China also has a similar problem and is not as solvable as Japan. Japan can open the floodgates to immigration whereas China is just so large and is likely only to lose more people than it gains.

US Government debt is also becoming a problem, particularly if interest rates remain high.
    So at some point either taxes in the US need to rise or interest rates need to return to a level where the debt is serviceable.
    Two things which brought calamities to the financial system, asset markets and to the world economy :

Debt and Easy money.

History is repeating time to time in a different manner. I periodically do my rebalancing to face for those types of calamities. Some assets and stocks are in bubble territory now.