sharetrader
Page 187 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 871371771831841851861871881891901911972372876871187 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 18991

Thread: Black Monday

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Choose your type: be considered as a "smart" pessimist (but probably constantly feeling miserable) - or do you prefer to be optimistic (and make money on the way)? I know which type I prefer, but there seem to be a lot of "smart" guys and gals around on this thread ...

http://news.fisherfunds.co.nz/t/d-l-tlbdly-hjlukhsj-q/
    I like the part in the article where it says

''Optimism requires action (to buy in before missing the boat) where as pessimism (caution) means staying the course(and waiting for the storm to pass)
    Optimism forces us to take action (to buy in,in the hopes of profit) which feels better than just waiting ,which requires patience.''

interesting that the article is by Fisher Funds
    Last edited by skid; 13-04-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post

''Optimism requires action (to buy in before missing the boat) where as pessimism (caution) means staying the course(and waiting for the storm to pass)
    Optimism forces us to take action (to buy in,in the hopes of profit) which feels better than just waiting ,which requires patience.''

'Optimism requires action (to buy in before missing the boat)
    ...The bad news: I missed the boat..the good news: the boat sunk today

I've been trying to top up on PAY for days now, setting and resetting my buy order upwards chasing this rapid price move upwards from 240..Today when it reached 280 my order was still trailing at 273 I got pissed off, packed a sad, went pessimistic and cancelled the order...
    Edit :: fell back to 255 up to 260 now
    Last edited by Hoop; 13-04-2016 at 02:12 PM.

percy

May be a case of "do as I say,not as I do."

Guru

I guess for those who didnt bother to read the article or were not paying attention -I should mention I took the liberty of changing a few things in that statement from the article (just to make a point--comes with the usual disclaimer)

For the others,who caught it right away, apologies if I insulted your intelligence by mentioning it

Meanwhile here are 2 of the (what I consider )myths I have noticed of late

1-Buy shares because you get a better % return ,and it is the same risk as money in the bank.

2-If you are cautious in todays market you are automatically a pessimist and are gloomy and hate life.
    Last edited by skid; 13-04-2016 at 03:45 PM.

Meanwhile here are 2 of the (what I consider )myths I have noticed of late

1-Buy shares because you get a better % return ,and it is the same risk as money in the bank.

2-If you are cautious in todays market you are automatically a pessimist and are gloomy and hate life.
    Care to share with us who would spread this ill defined nonsense? I hope you didn't deduct that from my posts - otherwise I need to improve my communication skills.

Any generalisations about shares as well as about banks are obviously plain nonsense. Some shares provide a better return than some banks ... and some shares provide a worse return (including total loss) than some banks (though some of the banks offer as well the loss option, incl. total loss - ask the clients of Lehman brothers or talk with some Greek or Cypress banks re haircuts ...). I guess this clarifies as well the risk bit - any investment is risky (but so is to store cash under the mattress), but we probably agree that shares have typically a (somewhat) higher risk than (NZ or Australian based) banks.

Who said that cautious people are pessimists? Not being cautious is not optimistic, but inconsiderate or stupid. But I guess there are "degrees of caution" - and being too cautious is as dangerous as being not cautious enough. People who expect the next GFC anytime soon with a nearly 100% probability and who have nothing better to do than filling forums with warnings of blood moons, bad moons, Jewish financial cycles going to bust, warnings of crashes due to buyback restrictions and doomsday after doomsday scenarios are in my view not cautious, but either neurotic, stupid or sensationalist (or all of the above). I assume we agree on that one as well - don't we?

So - who is spreading the urban myths you have noticed - or did you make them up yourself?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

looking good still on for target for those levels mentioned
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    looking good still on for target for those levels mentioned
    Growing population,low interest rates,cheap resources.
    Stress on populations/companies etc speeds up evolution.
    The fittest bull will survive and propagate

Banned

The gloom merchants may need to go and take a nap with the bears, she's onward and upward folks.

6pts away from breakout target 17520 - 17720 = 17920 consolidation then or higher to 18200 2100
    one step ahead of the herd

2135 next target - not far away

New all time high coming up
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”