sharetrader
Page 19 of 1915 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329691195191019 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrage View Post
    What is Buffett doing?
    Or perhaps more instructively, "What would Buffett do?"
    warthog ... muddy and smelly

EUR/AUD is a good indicator - it's been climbing solidly for the past week, then fell this morning until now....it's climbing again.

USD/JPY and AUD/JPY also good indicators. Both started turning 15 mins ago.
    To foretell the future, one must first unlock the secrets of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by LAC View Post
    Hi All,
    Can someone please comment/give their opinion on this.
    I see so much of selling and my portfolio is in red like most people on here but 90% of the shares I own are all dividend paying shares with PE's between 10-20. I have not sold anything and I know as many on here have stated - when things get this bad sell sell sell, I am only 30 and I see with just dividends alone for the next couple years will bring me back in the black. I just don't really understand how taking the losses now and putting the $ in the bank with 3% interest or 5% on my investment property would be better than letting this play out. Is my thinking completely wrong? Should I be protecting capital?
    I took a mtge to buy meridian shares even brought more after there latest profit ill use the divs + my wifes salary to pay it off - I don't care if the price declines because I don't think there gonna go bust anytime soon and im pretty sure over time ill make more than any capital loss from the divs.
    bit like an investment property really
    one step ahead of the herd

Do you really think this is just about HFT?
    All cycles are getting quicker & quicker, but HFT in reality has little to do with a cycle's span.
    Fundamentals don't change just because you can trade in milliseconds.
    HFT just creates a lot more noise at times & some times for no apparent (fundamental) reason.
    I would beg to differ that this is just about a HFT smash & grab.

Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    HFT has rewritten the rules. It no longer takes a few weeks to crash and months to recover, America had a 1 day FLASH CRASH in May 2010, the NYSE halted, and was back the next day, all smiles, totally confused, in the dark over what had caused the event...

We now know it keeps causing these events, while removing market capital and stifling productive work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-frequency_trading

...At the turn of the 21st century, HFT trades had an execution time of several seconds, whereas by 2010 this had decreased to milli- (1/1,000) and even microseconds (1/1,000,000)

...On September 2, 2013, Italy became the world's first country to introduce a tax specifically targeted at HFT, charging a levy of 0.02% on equity transactions lasting less than 0.5 seconds.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by LAC View Post
    Hi All,
    Can someone please comment/give their opinion on this.
    I see so much of selling and my portfolio is in red like most people on here but 90% of the shares I own are all dividend paying shares with PE's between 10-20. I have not sold anything and I know as many on here have stated - when things get this bad sell sell sell, I am only 30 and I see with just dividends alone for the next couple years will bring me back in the black. I just don't really understand how taking the losses now and putting the $ in the bank with 3% interest or 5% on my investment property would be better than letting this play out. Is my thinking completely wrong? Should I be protecting capital?
    I took a mtge to buy meridian shares even brought more after there latest profit ill use the divs + my wifes salary to pay it off - I don't care if the price declines because I don't think there gonna go bust anytime soon and im pretty sure over time ill make more than any capital loss from the divs.
    bit like an investment property really
    one step ahead of the herd

Hunting for Heuristic trends

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Do you really think this is just about HFT?
    All cycles are getting quicker & quicker, but HFT in reality has little to do with a cycle's span.
    Fundamentals don't change just because you can trade in milliseconds.
    HFT just creates a lot more noise at times & some times for no apparent (fundamental) reason.
    I would beg to differ that this is just about a HFT smash & grab.
    Re-reading my txt I suppose it does sound a bit over the top. No I dont think its just/only about hft. I object to their continual skimming, its like "protection money".

I have no trouble tipping a waitress, its voluntary and a show of good faith/appreciation.
    If your bank manager pocketed $1K from your new mortgage for himself, and did it to every customer...
    Your paying a middleman every time you trade, both buy and sell...
    Last edited by arc; 25-08-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Guru

Well the NZX 50 was back in black, as I speculated earlier on when we were still down about 1%... ASX still up well over 2% (2.5% currently), rest of Asia bouncing back nicely, will be interesting to see if the US and Europe bounce back... (they should do, analysts have always reinforced there was more in the bull run, although yes a temporary dip wasn't unexpected, and good to shake things out)

If that was it we got off lightly. However my gut feel Is that the worst is yet to come, maybe after one last run after reporting season. Interested to know the mind set of the baby boomers out there who no longer work. Are you looking to lock in gains now or keep going long? Is that democratic cliff just around the corner? Interested in your thoughts baby boomers.

Shanghai composite index down just about 7% breaking through 3000....down now 26% in the last 5 sessions, makes tomorrow interesting!

Guru

looks like "we can't quite take our seat belts off yet", hope everyone still has their hats...