sharetrader
Page 22 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632721225221022 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    All will be revealed overnight tonight to see if this pattern continues or not. PS- Paper loss capital destruction is only therhetical unless you sell.
    Couta , just trying to help here , I think I sent you a PM a while back re some good books to read - Market Wizards, and One up on Wall St ( Peter Lynch )
    Somewhere in one of those is a good example of why a loss is a LOSS paper or whatever. It gives an example something like
    Say you purchased 1000 XRO shares @ $ 39.00 , now trading @ $ 13.00 ish So $ 39,000 now worth $ 13000 as the trader did not have a S/l or a capital preservation plan in place .....
    Obviously the shares have to Treble to get back to even .... The question I will ask how many shares do you own that have Trebled ?
    It's hard to find one to double , so the bottom line is a loss is a loss even if it's on paper it is a real loss .
    Treat every hard earned dollar as something precious , not " she'll be right mate "

actually the action on wall st was good it was better that it closed down than up ( sounds weird I know ) but I think a bottom is trying to be made and ill be looking for a bounce tonight ( hopefully no guarantees ever )
    one step ahead of the herd

Banned

Nasi Goreng, I believe SLI is actually quite undervalued going by its latest result trading on a 1 to 1 revenue multiples compared to most other SAS companies trading on 1 to 4 multiples. TTk is a different animal and the one I would rate as having the least chance of ever getting my capital back, however it still pays a dividend so I continue to hold it, what will its share price be in 5 years? who really knows, cheers. Stoploss thanks looked at some of that material, I certainly don't treat hard earned money as she'll be right but take a long view with plenty of patience and hang in there type grit.
    Last edited by couta1; 26-08-2015 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks NZ Silver. I agree oil will be with us, most likely for hundreds of years to come for various uses.
    However the majority of oil is used for transport and heating and its those sorts of applications that will be the first to go over time.
    Some commentators who I respect and I think are revolutionary thinkers, say we are heading into the era of free energy or there abouts.
    When you think about it, its so simple with the natural forces we have & the advances in technology.
    I don't think we are that far from that & this is what the Saudis fear.

Quote Originally Posted by NZSilver View Post
    Daytr you posts have been great, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree coal has had a hard time over the last few years and is slowly getting pushed aside - partly by fossil fuels such as gas. Yep it will take a fair bit to see oil and its related products go though, it's immersed in every aspect of our lives as you would know - not just the the fuel to run cars but all our food we buy at the supermarkets literally contains molecules that were once molecules in fossil fuels - thanks to nitrogen fertilisers. Actually most of the nitrogen/carbon/hydrogen in everyone's body (making up mainly all your proteins) was once fossil fuels!
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

I hear what your saying but companies with those sort of declines normally occur due to fundamental changes rather than panic driven noise like we are currently experiencing.
    Couta, do you seriously believe the recent declines in the market are all "noise"? That seems like a very strange belief given very material events that have unfolded over recent times:
    Devaluation of the Yuan
    Sharp slowdown in manufacturing activity
    GDP growth below governments targets (the slowest in 20+ years)
    Private debt to GDP levels >200%
    Huge declines in world commodity prices attributed greatly to reduced Chinese demand

I'm sorry mate, I just can't understand how you can possibly put all this down to noise (randomness).

Banned

Okay i think I'm going to leave things right there, I don't won't to clutter up this thread talking about individual companies nor start arguing with people,each to their own I say, those that want to sell then sell but I've chosen to hang in there,cheers PS- Twotic I refer to noise in the sense of a temporal situation not randomness.
    Last edited by couta1; 26-08-2015 at 10:18 AM.

Hunting for Heuristic trends
    Last edited by arc; 26-08-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Guru

Positive start here, NZX 50 up 0.5%

OkayOkay I think I'm going to leave things right there, I don't won't to clutter up this thread talking about individual companies nor start arguing with people,each to their own I say, those that want to sell then sell but I've chosen to hang in there,cheers PS- Twotic I refer to noise in the sense of a temporal situation.
    OK, perhaps the wrong choice of words then. Noise in economic terms represents randomness and one would argue much of these events are anything but random. That being said I'm not sure what you mean by "noise in the sense of a temporal situation"? That still seems to suggest you think there is nothing material underlying the last few days of market declines. I'm interested in your logic.

In my opinion the writing has been on the wall for a while. Debt levels in China are through the roof, and the economy is well over capacity. Be careful mate, there is obviously a chance that this current down turn might reverse in the short term via Chinese government intervention, but long term the issues with the Chinese economy are very real and can not be fixed with short term policies.

Banned

Twotic probably the wrong choice of words, what I mean by panic driven noise is in the context of continual media driven negativity causing both nervous holders and even the not so nervous to sell stocks.
    Last edited by couta1; 26-08-2015 at 10:49 AM.