sharetrader
Page 238 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 1381882282342352362372382392402412422482883387381238 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,380 of 18991

Thread: Black Monday

Nearing the end of the day all my stocks (except SKT) with nice blue up arrows next to them. Whats the fuss?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Agree. The Brexit side had wanted the British parliament to be sovereign. The referendum had been non-binding and less than half of the electorate voted for a change.
    Democracy gives you the right to choose to exercise a vote. But I remain firm in the view that if you dont vote (no matter what the issue is) you have no right to complain about the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Democracy gives you the right to choose to exercise a vote. But I remain firm in the view that if you dont vote (no matter what the issue is) you have no right to complain about the outcome.
    Yup.

People risk beatings, injuries and some even die in some countries to get the right to vote.

Investor

Agree. The Brexit side had wanted the British parliament to be sovereign. The referendum had been non-binding and less than half of the electorate voted for a change.
    Couldn't agree more, so in affect 1 vote could've changed the outcome of referendum one way or other. That's how dumb it was!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grunter View Post
    My feeling is that Britain will negotiate agreements with individual countries much along the same lines as they have under existing EU agreements.

Look to the agreements and rights that Switzerland has as an example of a non-EU member interacting with the EU.
    Sure ... unless they make a flip flop they won't have any other option. And the world will keep turning and spinning around the sun. I guess what people are concerned about is the time frame required to negotiate all these separate treaties. The treaty between Switzerland and the EU took from memory more than a decade (potentially two, depending what you count as start of negotiations) to finalise. Not a problem for me or you (I suppose), but industry is likely to pick during this time other places for their investments. Would you want to invest into a country if you don't know about the laws and contractual frameworks it is in future embedded in? High risk - and most people would not. And if Britain goes ahead with this separation, than they will be for a very long time in a situation without a clear and stable trading framework.

As well - both Switzerland as well as Norway pay heaps every year into the EU coffers, just for the privilege of being associated with the EU. Remember - Britain separated because they didn't wanted to pay their keep. Why do you think they want now to keep paying without even being able to influence European policies anymore?
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 27-06-2016 at 03:58 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by sb9 View Post
    Couldn't agree more, so in affect 1 vote could've changed the outcome of referendum one way or other. That's how dumb it was!!!
    No. thats the very nature of a vote. Sometimes it is by the slimmest of margins but a win is a win.

If cameron had any sense he would have structured the referendum so that a minimum 60% (say) was a required threshold.

Seems we have forgotten the american elections in 2000 hung on 500 votes to Bush in Florida. And we dont learn from history

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Surely not voting may actually be an active decision that neither side had convinced you of the merits of their case. It's why in many nations a super majority (eg 60%+ of the turnout and/or a majority of the total electorate) is required to force constitutional change such as that which a Brexit entails. In a non-binding referendum such as this one, if you do vote, you have to expect that whatever you vote for may not eventuate.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 27-06-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Surely not voting may actually be an active decision that neither side had convinced you of the merits of their case.
    Thats happened to me before. Like last election no way was Brownlee getting my vote but i didnt like the other options. But i have always turned up at the booth and had my name struck off the list. I figure thats my entry fee to future debate.

Surely not voting may actually be an active decision that neither side had convinced you of the merits of their case. It's why in many nations a super majority (eg 65%+ of the turnout and/or a majority of the total electorate) is required to force constitutional change such as that which a Brexit entails. In a non-binding referendum such as this one, if you do vote, you have to expect that whatever you vote for may not eventuate.
    In which case, democracy says you accept the decision of the majority.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by sb9 View Post
    As it turns out the outcome was probably determined by the weather. London had terrible floods on the day of the vote, keeping many of the pro voters at home. Meanwhile the North east where many of the no voters reside had great voting weather. Just shows a referendum is no way to decide what is probably the most important decision to face Britain since entering the second world war