sharetrader
Page 250 of 1905 FirstFirst ... 1502002402462472482492502512522532542603003507501250 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,500 of 19049

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Apologise for being way off topic, but now we have a true Fish expert on, can you tell me if Snapper are the same as Bream?
    Snapper as fished in the Waitemata Harbour and in the Hauraki Gulf are Pagrus Auratus - depending on where you are, they are also known as Red Bream, Squire in Australia. A related species Pagrus Major are known as Japanese Seabream (or madai) and in Europe Pagellus bogaraveo known as Red Seabream look a bit different but are all members of the Sparidae family.

A fresh snapper is a prized recreational fish, line caught, immediately despatched with an iki knife and placed immediately in a bin with a salt ice slurry then it tastes a lot different from anything you buy at a shop. I have fished on the Waitemata Harbour and Hauraki Gulf for decades and I am still amazed that I can still catch a decent feed of snapper more often than not from a boat less than half an hour from the boat ramp consistently. We tend to eat the whole fish (usually steamed) rather than filleted but we do then we use the frames to make good quality fish stock.

Kahawai are fun especially on light gear and are very good smoked with manuka sawdust and a kingfish puts up a very good fight. Kahawai do need to be bled straight away.

My most prized catch would a decent sized John Dory - I would get one or two each summer. A very fresh Trevally makes a sensational sashami (so does Kingfish).

percy

I think I am finding the fishing posts much more interesting than the Brexit ones.
    Must admit I do enjoy Snapper fish and chips when I visit Auckland and Northland.

Quote Originally Posted by kura View Post
    My dad (long past away ) had the theory "Colder the water tastier the fish"
    yeah maybe have tried snapper / king fish fresh from ocean ...don't rate it certainly not in my top 10 of NZ seafood,,,,,,
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Yep.. here comes the bounce...kinetic energy recoil?
    Very quick (too quick) A-wave for an ABC down, but DCB (B-wave) may be in play already. The reckoning could be closer than we thought, however lets see how the relief rally plays out, assuming it does. I'd be surprised if this was the bottom, the end of it, seldom is only two days into a shock rout.

Go fish.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    Snapper as fished in the Waitemata Harbour and in the Hauraki Gulf are Pagrus Auratus - depending on where you are, they are also known as Red Bream, Squire in Australia. A related species Pagrus Major are known as Japanese Seabream (or madai) and in Europe Pagellus bogaraveo known as Red Seabream look a bit different but are all members of the Sparidae family.

A fresh snapper is a prized recreational fish, line caught, immediately despatched with an iki knife and placed immediately in a bin with a salt ice slurry then it tastes a lot different from anything you buy at a shop. I have fished on the Waitemata Harbour and Hauraki Gulf for decades and I am still amazed that I can still catch a decent feed of snapper more often than not from a boat less than half an hour from the boat ramp consistently. We tend to eat the whole fish (usually steamed) rather than filleted but we do then we use the frames to make good quality fish stock.

Kahawai are fun especially on light gear and are very good smoked with manuka sawdust and a kingfish puts up a very good fight. Kahawai do need to be bled straight away.

My most prized catch would a decent sized John Dory - I would get one or two each summer. A very fresh Trevally makes a sensational sashami (so does Kingfish).
    Fully agree.
    But point out tastes are acquired-Blue cod is probably favored most in S.I.
    Commonly used names are an easy way to describe locally caught fish but can be totally different species between countries-eg in the uk there are freshwater bream and saltwater bream-neither the same species as australian bream or in nz snapper-just a similar appearance.Likewise Bass and mackerel describe a shape-totally different fish though in UK as USA and as caught in nz.
    Bass in uk and nz are best eaters-as long as not too big

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Who can afford fish in NZ. $30 a kilo for snapper. In the good old days i used trevaly as bait and kawhai was avoided though a kingy on light line provided a bit of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    yeah maybe have tried snapper / king fish fresh from ocean ...don't rate it certainly not in my top 10 of NZ seafood,,,,,,
    Back in the day before i left for the UK (trying to stay on topic here ) i used to live off the sea. Snapper was the overall fave - poached, beer battered or smoked. Kawhai were purely catch and release - i never enjoyed them even smoked. King fish steak was ok. For more fun stingray was always a laugh. Didnt fish for them too often a bit tricky to release and filleting the fins was a chore.

But a good weekend out was mussels and cockles at low tide, crayfish (and for the chase i would only catch without gloves) Octopus (again hand caught) with a few pannies.

So image my disappointment went i got to england and tried the fish and chips from under a heat lamp. At least there was jellied eel and mushy peas. Yup, a good move to exit. Time to put an end to the foreign muck.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    My most prized catch would a decent sized John Dory - I would get one or two each summer.
    ive only ever caught one "trophy fish" a 2m octopus in 10m of water on snorkel by hand. A beast with a 4m spread was a challenge and a half!

Advanced Member

The only thing I doubt with fishing tales is the size.
    I rate my biggest success as an epic fight with a packhorse cray the size of a sheep-it didnt like me at all-grabbed hold of my octopus(scuba) then crushed my hand-and I had Kevlar gloves that it pierced-but I didnt let go.
    Too big for me to eat but a trophy I gave away to a friend

In Townville AU a few years ago in among the prawn etc was NZ Blue cod at $8.99 a kilo while here in good old Nz $38 a kilo
    I suppose that's the price of trade.

Advanced Member

One more fishy tale. Turns out the fisherman have been lied to as well
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...reater-catcheshttps://www.theguardian.com/environm...reater-catches