sharetrader
Page 266 of 1908 FirstFirst ... 1662162562622632642652662672682692702763163667661266 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,660 of 19072

Thread: Black Monday

I reckon Monday 31st Oct. 1 week and bit before USA elections.
    Guessing some out there might sell down with the uncertainty over what will happen with either new president !!
    I am not selling but keeping some spare $ to spend if market does take a drop.
    Who knows, we might start calling it "trump" Monday :-)

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Maybe consequence of bad Monday in the USA

Been 43 days where S&P500 hasn't had a +/- 1% day

Longish periods of stability lead to instability?
    Whoops - overnight action all my fault

Sorry guys
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Thanks Winner. Does this mean we will get some discounted prices here when we reinvest our upcoming divvy's?

Whoops - overnight action all my fault

Sorry guys

Quote Originally Posted by axe View Post
    Thanks Winner. Does this mean we will get some discounted prices here when we reinvest our upcoming divvy's?
    Hopefully yes

AIR at $1.70 in a month - that what you after?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Hopefully yes

AIR at $1.70 in a month - that what you after?
    Yes and a few other quality stocks like FPH and EBO; discounts would be nice on those also? Anything else in my wishlist??? Hmmm I could do with more RYM too...

What could rising interest rates in the US do to the NZ/USD? Especially if NZ rates keep dropping.....

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by axe View Post
    Yes and a few other quality stocks like FPH and EBO; discounts would be nice on those also? Anything else in my wishlist??? Hmmm I could do with more RYM too...

What could rising interest rates in the US do to the NZ/USD? Especially if NZ rates keep dropping.....
    Logic would say money will be moved out of the NZ market in antiicpation.
    But so many other factors come into it e.g who are our major trading partners ?
    Low nz interest rates reduce costs for most nz companies.
    You really have to consider the effect this would have on individual companies

Membaa

Must be due for another Black Monday

October not far away
    Prescient. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...slump-7-months lots of scary charts.

Party over, or just a breather?

yeh it was very quiet for a long time, but just another blip so traders can make a few bucks. As the last 10 or so corrections have shown us the recovery dosn't take long. The real one will come eventually but who know when, but it seems we're are tracking along a lot closer to the eventual top than the bottom. With interest rates so low everywhere - I'm sure money will continue to flow into capital markets and property. It will pop eventually, and start the cycle all over again.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by NZSilver View Post
    yeh it was very quiet for a long time, but just another blip so traders can make a few bucks. As the last 10 or so corrections have shown us the recovery dosn't take long. The real one will come eventually but who know when, but it seems we're are tracking along a lot closer to the eventual top than the bottom. With interest rates so low everywhere - I'm sure money will continue to flow into capital markets and property. It will pop eventually, and start the cycle all over again.
    This one is a result of ''fiscal tampering''(what the Fed MAY do)so it could be remedied by the right words from the Fed--but there is always the chance something like this can trigger other things in this broken system--Did anyone actually think the stock markets could carry on like this,with its record highs?...So if not now,..when do they raise interest rates? (there are many who dont see the dangers of a low interest system--It just increases the odds of a messy bursting of a bubble....call it the stock market...debt..or a number of other things,including the big banks.
    This IMO was just waiting to happen.Whether it continues is of course, the question. Often times these things happen on a Friday,with the weekend to digest.
    Another question...how far does it have to go before the ''bargain mindset'' gives way to fear and survival. (It aint here yet,thats for sure--If this is not the one--investors may get some bargains,If this is the one,it will suck in far more investors.
    Last edited by skid; 10-09-2016 at 02:04 PM.

The thing is, SPs can only do with bad news or the prospect of it. If the prospect of bad news never eventuates or was overrated, the lack of bad news from companies will mean there were bargains.

I guess what my sleepy head is trying to say, is that it companies continue to perform, anything else is just noise.

So the question is, do you think times ahead will cause companies on the NZX to underperform, or worse, struggle?

I think that's the difference. Lately we've seen so many events that caused fear of underperformance which never eventuated. Brexit, Greece, etc.

Obviously this is changing the confidence levels and style of trading on the NZX.

These are all obvious things. I guess the best thing to do is not to watch patterns in graphs, but to look for causes of (potential) change.