sharetrader
Page 31 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541811315311031 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

The Wolf of Sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Loading up on a stock about to pay a good divvy ain't gambling especially if the price is discounted.
    Fair call.

Haha that was a pretty short trade. Stopped out obviously.
    GDP in the US rockets as does oil up over 10%! Chinese market up double digit as well.
    I would suggest we are seeing a shift of wealth from Wall St to Main St.
    i.e. big multi nationals that earn their money offshore will struggle and so to energy producers.
    Meanwhile consumers & retailers benefit with more money in their pockets to spend.
    A healthier economy overall, but it takes time to adjust. Small Caps besides the giant retailers should benefit more than the DOW,
    Still think this ain't over & the spike in oil was purely short covering.
    Some parts of the economy as suggested above will benefit, others will crash.
    So it probably depends how much the imminent debt crisis relating to oil impacts the confidence of the consumer on how things pan out.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Haha that was a pretty short trade. Stopped out obviously.
    GDP in the US rockets as does oil up over 10%! Chinese market up double digit as well.
    I would suggest we are seeing a shift of wealth from Wall St to Main St.
    i.e. big multi nationals that earn their money offshore will struggle and so to energy producers.
    Meanwhile consumers & retailers benefit with more money in their pockets to spend.
    A healthier economy overall, but it takes time to adjust. Small Caps besides the giant retailers should benefit more than the DOW,
    Still think this ain't over & the spike in oil was purely short covering.
    Some parts of the economy as suggested above will benefit, others will crash.
    So it probably depends how much the imminent debt crisis relating to oil impacts the confidence of the consumer on how things pan out.
    totally agree
    one step ahead of the herd

Loading up on a stock about to pay a good divvy ain't gambling especially if the price is discounted.
    Until...

a) dividend is cut
    b) interest rates / bond yields increase to the point that high yielding stocks are no longer worth the risk.

I just recently bought into BHP, awesome dividend yield and I'm hoping that they can continue to pay progressive dividend for a very long time. It is a bit of a gamble though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nasi Goreng View Post
    Until...

a) dividend is cut
    b) interest rates / bond yields increase to the point that high yielding stocks are no longer worth the risk.

I just recently bought into BHP, awesome dividend yield and I'm hoping that they can continue to pay progressive dividend for a very long time. It is a bit of a gamble though.
    I'm talking Air NZ and I can't see any dividend cut coming in the foreseeable future and point b will be a while off IMO, cheers

Guru

I'm talking Air NZ and I can't see any dividend cut coming in the foreseeable future and point b will be a while off IMO, cheers
    Its not what you can see but what you can't see that can sting

Hi KW - I would be interested to know what triggers you are looking for? Dow Jones 200DMA is currently 17790.70, 50DMA which dropped below 200DMA around mid august is 17500.55. Currently dow is 16,654.72. (Dropped from 17300ish last friday to reach 15600ish at its low point). If DJIA crosses 200dma would you consider that a "volatility" and not a "correction", or would you consider that its volatility earlier if we pass back above 17300 point from where it dropped. Thanks in advance. Im quite happy sitting sideline too at this point, some shares still continuing to drop..

Interested in others thoughts around this too..
    Last edited by NZSilver; 28-08-2015 at 01:24 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Its not what you can see but what you can't see that can sting
    There's many obstacles in life you cannot see, I mean after all your next breath may be your last

As someone mentioned earlier. Oil prices while cheap for the consumer is actually going to cause more problems than it solves. Oil rig count in the US alone is dramatically down yet supply is out stripping demand. OPEC is not controlling the demand and supply like it used to. Companies scrambling to make their businesses as efficient as possible. . Some are bound to start folding. Canada has been high fiving for years with their oil sands. Now they are struggling as the cost to produce oil from those sands is so high. It will b interesting to see when the cracks in Canada start appearing in main stream media. I'm sure there's other countries in this situation too. When big well paying companies start folding we know we are in real trouble.

Guru

when you play Russian roulette,you cant see if theres a bullet in the next chamber--When I think of possible scenarios that can affect a company,airline shares are near the top of the list.

Its all about the odds,Coutts--If your going to gamble(once you admit ,thats what your doing),you had better learn the difference between the odds of the market going pear shaped (which,as you saw affected AIR)and you taking your next breath
    Last edited by skid; 28-08-2015 at 02:09 PM.