sharetrader
Page 314 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 2142643043103113123133143153163173183243644148141314 ... LastLast
Results 3,131 to 3,140 of 18991

Thread: Black Monday

This is the article I referred to earlier in this thread.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opin...inancial-storm

Martin Hawes, who seems likes a sensible guy, reduced his exposure to equities 6 months ago. I probably should do the same thing but I think I've become too greedy and I'm having such a good time. This last month has been just so. much. fun.

The music will stop one day and I'll be left without a chair. But until then, here's to a big Santa Rally!!
    Last edited by Bobdn; 09-12-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    This is the article I referred to earlier in this thread.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opin...inancial-storm

Martin Hawes, who seems likes a sensible guy, reduced his exposure to equities 6 months ago. I probably should do the same thing but I think I've become too greedy and I'm having such a good time. This last month has been just so. much. fun.

The music will stop one day and I'll be left without a chair. But until then, here's to a big Santa Rally!!
    his timing was a little off but the ideas suggested where sound in hindsight.
    Most bull markets don't end when such fear is around look at all the cash funds have sitting earning nothing at the moment , there are probably funds around who have missed the current rally in disbelief bit like a possum in headlights lol so anyway ill stay greedy while the going good lol but always remain viligant. hey dow up another 90pts hohoho
    one step ahead of the herd

Do you remember this recommendation from Andrew Roberts of the Royal Bank of Scotland in January this year?

In a note to its clients the bank said: “Sell everything except high quality bonds. This is about return of capital, not return on capital. In a crowded hall, exit doors are small.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business...rbs-economists

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/01...st-five-years/

I think we'll see some references to Andrew Roberts and his prediction as we approach the New Year. Sure hindsight is a great thing but what a terrible recommendation it turned out to be.

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

This quarter has been the worst in 6+ years for the NZX Top 50 Index - it is down by more than 8% while other world markets have cracked on well.

Sure, but it's been so good over the last few years, it doesn't really matter.

I think it depends when you joined the market

If that was in 2010, then the recent decline should be less problematic

But if it was 3 months ago, it's a significant hit to absorb........

maybe santa arrived in nz 3 days of gains? anyway dow consolidating at highs

Membaa

What a terrific end to the year, DOW pushing 20,000, NZX solid gains, many here would not have believed it, me included. It's like all the crap in the world was put on mute, but not that its gone away.

Finally a lucid article in the Herald regarding one of our largest trading partners. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11772045

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    What a terrific end to the year, DOW pushing 20,000, NZX solid gains, many here would not have believed it, me included. It's like all the crap in the world was put on mute, but not that its gone away.

Finally a lucid article in the Herald regarding one of our largest trading partners. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11772045
    No one would have believed it indeed--its almost as if we have had a year that the unthinkable became the norm--Anything that could have happened, did happen....So its pretty hard to fault anyone really,while tipping our hat to those that have enjoyed the spoils.
    But to start to think of this all as the ''new norm'' may by definition be ignoring that ''unthinkable'' that has so well and truly played out.
    I believe we are entering the age of conflict, and with so much riding on knee jerk decisions and avoidance of loss of face,Id be keeping one eye out for just about anything. I only hope that it will not escape the economic arena (trade war?)and plunge into life threatening situations.

The new year should be interesting,especially the first half as Grump finds his feet and sets his plan in action..what ever it is,in terms of extremity. But thats after the break...enjoy
    Last edited by skid; 24-12-2016 at 04:03 PM.

wow, pretty much tounched 20k dow.
    anyway still in a consolidation i reckon 19750 - 20k see what happens a