sharetrader
Page 315 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 2152653053113123133143153163173183193253654158151315 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,150 of 18991

Thread: Black Monday

Membaa

Friday 20th January is Trumps' inauguration day, which is our Saturday so our market won't know which way it might go prior to close. Let's hope that the topping process (indecision) in the DOW and other US bourses recently isn't accompanied by some god awful acceptance speech which reverses or undermines the sentiment relying on his massive election promises of investment in the USA. It could be a black Monday here if that happens. Eyes on and fingers on the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    It could be a black Monday here if that happens. Eyes on and fingers on the trigger.
    just buy the Vix?

I am quite sure DT is long the Vix. Bigly long. Uge

The clip from SNL with Baldwin doing an impersonation is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Friday 20th January is Trumps' inauguration day, which is our Saturday so our market won't know which way it might go prior to close. Let's hope that the topping process (indecision) in the DOW and other US bourses recently isn't accompanied by some god awful acceptance speech which reverses or undermines the sentiment relying on his massive election promises of investment in the USA. It could be a black Monday here if that happens. Eyes on and fingers on the trigger.
    Gut feel says DOW is on a downhill after his inauguration. Though not completely black Monday yet for us, it will turn darker come mid of the week. Such is the power of trumping

I've changed m my outlook for the year. With brexit pushing the pound down, and Trumps import taxes, who is NZ going to export to?

I'm selling out of some of my portfolio to get ready for the bargains to come. Keeping some cash in shares

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    I've changed m my outlook for the year. With brexit pushing the pound down, and Trumps import taxes, who is NZ going to export to?

I'm selling out of some of my portfolio to get ready for the bargains to come. Keeping some cash in shares
    America is in the high 50's position as far as trade with NZ is concerned. Our beef is usually Hamburger meat. So the lowly paid will still be eating it. Lamb is high quality and the rich will not stop eating.

America's possible trade war with China is more of a concern to us IMO. Even then a great deal of our exports to China are off season produce to high end customers and such goods as Quality baby formula will always be wanted.

last 5 days people rotating back to some of the worst performers after trump won.
    Security Name Close 5 Day
    BRAZIL 63783.21 8.9338
    GOLD 1202 5.9031
    NEW ZEALAND 7074.94 4.6552
    LONDON 7327.13 4.4995
    AUSTRALIA 5748.4 3.8949
    TLT 121.31 3.2426
    HANG SENG 22718.15 3.167
    INDIA 27288 3.0163
    Nasdaq 5574.12 2.3808
    Dow Utilities 657 1.7028
    EEM 36.68 1.41
    CRB 194.53 1.3335
    OIL 52.64 1.3282
    GERMANY 11554.71 1.3215
    FRANCE 4882.18 1.0119
    HYG 87.32 0.9597
    S&P 500 2274.64 0.6687
    Dow Indust 19885 0.653
    CHINA 3103 -0.6086
    Russel 1372.05 -1.1541
    JAPAN 19095.24 -1.5768
    Dow Transports 9202 -2.1792
    Last edited by bull....; 18-01-2017 at 06:35 AM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Hmmm maybe it won't be so bad. UK may recover if trade agreements are good, and Trump may fail to execute his desires.

Though I think any whomping of any big industry in NZ would be significant.

Probably is not as bad as I first thought.

Interesting that Theresa May has corrected her tone on the events to come. Maybe she's learning that you have to be careful how you present things.

Guru

Hmmm maybe it won't be so bad. UK may recover if trade agreements are good, and Trump may fail to execute his desires.

Though I think any whomping of any big industry in NZ would be significant.

Probably is not as bad as I first thought.

Interesting that Theresa May has corrected her tone on the events to come. Maybe she's learning that you have to be careful how you present things.
    I think that trade agreement is a little sweetner for Brexit--(still think that the best way to get a handle on trumps trade scenario is to see what benefits him ,personally.)

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I think that trade agreement is a little sweetner for Brexit--(still think that the best way to get a handle on trumps trade scenario is to see what benefits him ,personally.)
    UK:
    I thought the trade agreements were a case of trying to set up agreements with countries so they don't lose out when they leave the EU, which has it's own trade agreements they won't have access to anymore. Ways in which I see the UK losing on Brexit is loss of trade agreements (restriction on purchasing = less resources for businesses relying on external sources and disruption. Restrictions on exporting = business closures). This means less jobs in the UK (which might be ok if the immigrants are forced to leave, which they won't) and inflation and unavailability of some goods. Could be ugly if trade agreement negotiations don't go well.

US:
    So far, to my knowledge, the main thing Trump's been doing is using his position to negotiate building permits with foreign powers that previously denied him. I'd say it's pretty difficult to align your interests with his financially.

He does however, seem to have a bee in his bonnet about several political & economic issues that I think he's driving from a personal (egocentric) perspective - what he thinks America needs to do to improve. Mainly these are poorly planned and tactlessly executed ideas that he hasn't researched or fully thought out. How much conviction / ability he will have executing these is another matter. If you can work that out, you can predict what will happen and make your money buying on the dips.

I think that NZ is looking at a recession in the next few years, or if there's no recession we will trundle along nicely. I have no idea which will occur, but I do believe that the biggest thing keeping us going is the influx of immigrants and house price inflation. Each bringing more money to families by inflation and more money in the country. Not a great way to run an economy, but a hard one to get out of (not blaming anyone for this situation, politically - just stating the way I see things).

Guru

UK:
    I thought the trade agreements were a case of trying to set up agreements with countries so they don't lose out when they leave the EU, which has it's own trade agreements they won't have access to anymore. Ways in which I see the UK losing on Brexit is loss of trade agreements (restriction on purchasing = less resources for businesses relying on external sources and disruption. Restrictions on exporting = business closures). This means less jobs in the UK (which might be ok if the immigrants are forced to leave, which they won't) and inflation and unavailability of some goods. Could be ugly if trade agreement negotiations don't go well.

US:
    So far, to my knowledge, the main thing Trump's been doing is using his position to negotiate building permits with foreign powers that previously denied him. I'd say it's pretty difficult to align your interests with his financially.

He does however, seem to have a bee in his bonnet about several political & economic issues that I think he's driving from a personal (egocentric) perspective - what he thinks America needs to do to improve. Mainly these are poorly planned and tactlessly executed ideas that he hasn't researched or fully thought out. How much conviction / ability he will have executing these is another matter. If you can work that out, you can predict what will happen and make your money buying on the dips.

I think that NZ is looking at a recession in the next few years, or if there's no recession we will trundle along nicely. I have no idea which will occur, but I do believe that the biggest thing keeping us going is the influx of immigrants and house price inflation. Each bringing more money to families by inflation and more money in the country. Not a great way to run an economy, but a hard one to get out of (not blaming anyone for this situation, politically - just stating the way I see things).
    I believe Trump is more or less coming to the UKs rescue because he likes Brexit (which was what I was alluding to and ties in with your first point)