sharetrader
Page 317 of 1899 FirstFirst ... 2172673073133143153163173183193203213273674178171317 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,170 of 18990

Thread: Black Monday

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyALD View Post
    Agree Couta not sure why some are worried.
    Wished I shared your optimism guys, Trump is a loose canon so things could go very wrong very quickly imo.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Wheeler was shocker

His legacy will be a bust part of the boom/bust cycle he has created.

2018/2019 might not be pretty
    lol I don't think it was his fault. I think he had to deal with problems beyond his control, which you're associating him with.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    Wished I shared your optimism guys, Trump is a loose canon so things could go very wrong very quickly imo.
    There-in lies the problem. While Trump's economic policies of lower corporate taxes and massive infrastructure spending will no doubt will invigorate the economy at least for the short time, his erratic nature will cause great harm both domestically and internationally, which could easily lead to economic turmoil.

Will Monday see a massive fall in the markets? Probably not. But what are the longer term implications of Trump's policies? Not good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    He may be a loose cannon although there are advisers and others who will keep him in check, re: his policies touted during his campaign and how he has quickly backtracked on many of them.
    Toward his critics, the artist harbours a defensive ace: knowledge that the future will erase the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    lol I don't think it was his fault. I think he had to deal with problems beyond his control, which you're associating him with.

.......but he made unnecessary cuts to the OCR when the economy was pinging along nicely.

Too much focus on the NZD

His legacy will be the big bust in 2018/2019
    Last edited by winner69; 22-01-2017 at 01:51 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    Wheeler focused far too heavily on trying to cool the housing market (caused by a shortage of supply, nothing else, economics 101 - price v's supply) under the guise of "financial stability" (his secondary focus)

Meanwhile inflation was totally out of control (his primary focus)

Consequences were higher interest rates and exchange rates than necessary = harming the economy, not helping it

He did not have to deal with the housing market (I contend he has actually accomplished little in that regards, except to cause significant harm to first home buyers). He chose to enter this unwinnable battle, and deserves the flak for several sub-par years of growth in NZ.

If he had focused on his primary objective of keeping inflation on average at 2% and within a range of 1-3%, interest rates would have been lower and growth higher. I contend that house prices would not be entirely dissimilar to what they are now as banks would almost certainly have tightened their own lending criteria sooner. Think about it. Banks know their clients better than RBNZ. Banks don't want people defaulting. Banks have a responsibility to their shareholders to only enter into investments (eg home loans) that are productive. So banks were always going to self-limit when people started asking for loans that were too large for their income to support

xafalcon: "... higher interest rates and exchange rates than necessary = harming the economy, not helping it"
    winner69: "...but he made unnecessary cuts to the OCR when the economy was pinging along nicely..."

He really was worse than useless then!

Trump's nature is that of a bully. I don't think advisors will keep him in check completely, I think he'll manipulate them. Some risk there IMO.

Hunting for Heuristic trends

Whats up with this weather, 0.5 meter of snow on the ski field and 1 meter of snow on the Sahara desert ???.

The "global weather pattern change scenario" described by climate change advocates is looking to be within the ball park...

This has the potential to impact crop production, globally... both for human consumption items and animal feed/food sources.

I think I will keep a closer eye on the data & the trend, as some items may suffer reduced supply.
    Last edited by arc; 24-01-2017 at 08:23 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    Whats up with this weather, 0.5 meter of snow on the ski field and 1 meter of snow on the Sahara desert ???.

The "global weather pattern change scenario" described by climate change advocates is looking to be within the ball park...

This has the potential to impact crop production, globally... both for human consumption items and animal feed/food sources.

I think I will keep a closer eye on the data & the trend, as some items may suffer reduced supply.
    I guess the anti-trump brigade (aka swamp dwellers) will find a way to blame trump for the latest weather quirks..
    I used to watch the weather patterns and trade e.g Heat waves/drought in the US corn belt and frosts in Brazil (Coffee)..even dabbled with soya beans...

A worthwhile bookmark would be IndexMundi website..I love playing around on this website to check for all sorts of commodities in all sorts of countries..e.g..Click here to see how dry whole milk production has increased in China over the years..It has a very long way to go, so no worries yet, but striving towards the self-sufficiency goal could be seen as a scary future long term problem for NZ Dairy Farmers in a couple of decades....Good news for NZ is the GFC helped stuff up China's Whole dry milk powder export market growth
    Last edited by Hoop; 24-01-2017 at 09:42 PM.