sharetrader
Page 335 of 1899 FirstFirst ... 2352853253313323333343353363373383393453854358351335 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,350 of 18985

Thread: Black Monday

老外

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Hi Blobbles....Link doesn't seem to work. Could you provide a few clues on what to search for please,
    Thanks. RTM.
    Oops sorry, try this one: http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...he-fire-bigger'

Membaa

All this geopolitical nonsense didn't seem to have much effect on the markets today (Shanghai), albeit down a bit. Maybe wars, or pre-wars are good for the markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    All this geopolitical nonsense didn't seem to have much effect on the markets today (Shanghai), albeit down a bit. Maybe wars, or pre-wars are good for the markets.
    I'm picking we might see a bit of a plop drop tomorrow. Good buying coming up

UK Snap election announced for 8 June. I didn't see that one coming. FTSE100 down 1.4%. Interesting times we live in.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyALD View Post
    UK Snap election announced for 8 June. I didn't see that one coming. FTSE100 down 1.4%. Interesting times we live in.
    At least they didnt go the way of Turkey--how 51% of a population could vote for handing a leader a potential dictatorship is beyond me

老外

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    At least they didnt go the way of Turkey--how 51% of a population could vote for handing a leader a potential dictatorship is beyond me
    Isn't benevolent dictatorship the best form of government? Ataturk was one, a great leader who modernized his country and is remembered as one of the worlds great leaders (there is even a park and memorial named after him on Wellingtons south coast). Erdogan certainly has some big shoes to fill if he heads down the dictator path...

Lee Kuan Yew was also one of the best leaders of modern times, also a benevolent dictator, but his leadership saw Singapore go from a fairly poor state under Malaysia's control to one of the richest countries on the planet and one that bring stability to the region.

Quote Originally Posted by blobbles View Post
    Isn't benevolent dictatorship the best form of government? Ataturk was one, a great leader who modernized his country and is remembered as one of the worlds great leaders (there is even a park and memorial named after him on Wellingtons south coast). Erdogan certainly has some big shoes to fill if he heads down the dictator path...

Lee Kuan Yew was also one of the best leaders of modern times, also a benevolent dictator, but his leadership saw Singapore go from a fairly poor state under Malaysia's control to one of the richest countries on the planet and one that bring stability to the region.
    Lets put it that way, depending on the maturity level of a country, there are early phases where a benevolent dictatorship is clearly better than a destructive democracy. I agree that both Ataturk as well as Lee Kwan Yew did fit this description and benefited their countries immensely - and there are others, if you look e.g. at the transition of Taiwan or (some decades ago) Spain to democracy.

However - I don't think it is appropriate to mention Erdogan in the same paragraph then the leaders mentioned above. If anybody would have had doubt about his intentions before the so called coup ... the fact that his cleanout of administration and justice started only hours after the so called coup attempt is clear evidence that he orchestrated it. I see him in the same class of beings as the short fat Korean dictator, and he will be up to nothing good for his people. The Turkish economy is already paying for his crimes.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Indeed - the unfortunate thing about benevolent dictators is that not many are really benevolent!

new highs nasdaq best ever dow just breaking out from its consolidation looking good asx should smash 6000 soon i reckon, nzx still underperforming with a slight upside bias
    one step ahead of the herd

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    new highs nasdaq best ever dow just breaking out from its consolidation looking good asx should smash 6000 soon i reckon, nzx still underperforming with a slight upside bias
    Yep 2nd big up day in a row in the US. NZX in sleep mode, school holidays not helping, need the big money to get it going, back to school next week in time for sell in May and go away to commence.