sharetrader
Page 342 of 1898 FirstFirst ... 2422923323383393403413423433443453463523924428421342 ... LastLast
Results 3,411 to 3,420 of 18972

Thread: Black Monday

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyALD View Post
    I really do worry what's going to happen if Labour win an election in partnership with NZ First and the Greens. At the moment its looking very close.
    I wouldn't worry about that all. NZF and the Watermelons have policies that are poles apart and no amount of diplomacy from the Labour faction could ever get them to work together.

I’m always interested in why people think one political party or ideology will be better for the economy than another. Historically, in the post-war era, there isn’t a clear trend one way or another in most countries despite political parties thinking their ideology and economic strategy is going to be a clear winner. If only investment choices where as simple as which government was in office.

On a more personal note I’ve tended to vote for political parties because I thought what they were proposing would benefit society as a whole rather than me personally. Some things should be held well above personal greed.

Some types of policy will always be a greed vote for certain demographics. Specifically ones involving tax, benefits and anything relating to evil tall poppies (real estate investors, rich foreigners, employers, etc.).

I'm wondering whether to sell down now, then buy back in just before the election to be on national winning and share process going back up.

The likes of SUM are very prone to election time fluctuation, IMO. Some money to be made there?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtom View Post
    I’m always interested in why people think one political party or ideology will be better for the economy than another. Historically, in the post-war era, there isn’t a clear trend one way or another in most countries despite political parties thinking their ideology and economic strategy is going to be a clear winner. If only investment choices where as simple as which government was in office.
    You are right - there are in history good examples for economically successful and prudent centre-left as well as centre-right governments. What I however can't remember are examples for economically (or otherwise) successful hard-left or hard-right governments.

I read as well recently that the economically most successful periods in the US have been times with a Democratic president controlled by a Republican congress.

So - yes, as long as we don't move to the extremes and as long as we make sure the Centre is involved in the government, the colour of the government might not be that important for economic success.

What however is important is whether the government of the day has experience and is able to act ... or whether it consists of a bunch of deeply divided, ideological driven and unexperienced political fundamentalists. I think the latter is the reason some people here are concerned about the prospects of a NZF / Green / Labour coalition. Very little real life experience ... and very little consensus and little openness to compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtom View Post
    On a more personal note I’ve tended to vote for political parties because I thought what they were proposing would benefit society as a whole rather than me personally. Some things should be held well above personal greed.
    Actually - I never found a party which I thought was bad for me but good for the country. I prefer win-wins ... or at least the least bad option for country as well as myself.

In my view a party which is bad for individuals (e.g. anti immigrants or anti beneficiaries or anti multicultural or anti successful people) is always bad for the country as well. At current I see the usual lolly scramble before the elections. Remember - lollies are bad for your health - and why would anybody vote for a party throwing lollies around which they don't even pay for?
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 23-07-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: consistency of spelling ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    Some types of policy will always be a greed vote for certain demographics. Specifically ones involving tax, benefits and anything relating to evil tall poppies (real estate investors, rich foreigners, employers, etc.).

I'm wondering whether to sell down now, then buy back in just before the election to be on national winning and share process going back up.

The likes of SUM are very prone to election time fluctuation, IMO. Some money to be made there?
    Markets don't like uncertainty.

Why are real estate investors tall poppies? Investing in real estate is the preferred and acceptable thing to do to build up a nest egg in the NZ system.

Real estate investors should be on safer ground than stock market investors as in New Zealand there are many more voters who directly own real estate than own shares....certainly in $ terms.

How should NZ politicians treat rich foreigners?

I would guess that beneficiaries have been the target for many politicians over the years.

Real estate investors are seen as tall poppies because of the perception that people can't buy hoses because they have priced them out.

Regarding extreme government not being good for a country, I will faceciously refer to Germanys economic success post WW2 lol. Of course they're paying for it now with white guilt immigration policy 😝

On a less facetious note, I think any policy that attacks factors responsible for financial success are bad (from a short term financial perspective). Example for NZ would be changes to property laws, overseas inbound investment, trade policy, etc.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    Real estate investors are seen as tall poppies because of the perception that people can't buy hoses because they have priced them out.

Regarding extreme government not being good for a country, I will faceciously refer to Germanys economic success post WW2 lol. Of course they're paying for it now with white guilt immigration policy 😝
    sorry but I have to point this out.
    Waking up this morning I was a little slow and really fell for this on FACE value.
    A quick HOSE down in the shower and I think you should check for typo's before posting

I like my messages to be a little kryptic,
    I'll leave the speelling mistakes in 😜

OMG, not just one black swan lurking but three

Some time in the future things won't be as good as it is today

http://ggc-mauldin-images.s3.amazona...70722_TFTF.pdf
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”