sharetrader
Page 361 of 1894 FirstFirst ... 2613113513573583593603613623633643653714114618611361 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,610 of 18939

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by NeverQuestion View Post
    30 years on, have we learnt anything? I'm still learning, and can remember that day very clearly. Working in Queen St at the time, I would go and watch the 'chalkies' at least 3 times a day. I took an absolute hammering but only paused a short time before I was back in. There were alot of basket case shares at the time and even today......my 2 picks currently would be Snakk and SeaDragon (which I hold)......nope havn't learnt a bloody thing!!!!!

Outside thinking.

I recall it well too. Earlier in the year I had sold my house and parked all my well-earned in the booming share market while I looked to buy realestate elsewhere. Fortunately I also invested in my first computer and Metastock charting software.

About 10 day's before the crash all the TA signals started going extremely negative. I thought it was a computer error until my lovely other half said, "you've spent so much on this bloody computer, you should take notice of what it says." So I did. Sold 90% of my holdings 5 days before the crash.

Came out with only a small loss (about $20k) when I could have lost it all. Stayed away from the share market since and only re-entered in 2013. Have learned heaps since and still rely on TA (perhaps more than FA.)

This time of year is always a nervous time for me (call me old fashioned!!)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    I recall it well too. Earlier in the year I had sold my house and parked all my well-earned in the booming share market while I looked to buy realestate elsewhere. Fortunately I also invested in my first computer and Metastock charting software.

About 10 day's before the crash all the TA signals started going extremely negative. I thought it was a computer error until my lovely other half said, "you've spent so much on this bloody computer, you should take notice of what it says." So I did. Sold 90% of my holdings 5 days before the crash.

Came out with only a small loss (about $20k) when I could have lost it all. Stayed away from the share market since and only re-entered in 2013. Have learned heaps since and still rely on TA (perhaps more than FA.)

This time of year is always a nervous time for me (call me old fashioned!!)
    Sounds like a familiar story LF particularly the other halves advice .
    Can you post for us plebs when all the signals do the same again.Thanks in advance.
    PS Its not Fri 13 th(today) ,is it?
    Last edited by kiora; 13-10-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Sounds like a familiar story LF particularly the other halves advice .
    Can you post for us plebs when all the signals do the same again.Thanks in advance.
    PS Its not Fri 13 th(today) ,is it?
    LOL will do!! That said, this forum being what it is, if I screamed 'SELL', no one would agree with me!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    So strong rumour has it that Bitcoin has a special access "backdoor" in it to allow the person/people who created it to make as many coins for themselves as they want. Perhaps that's why the person/people who created it have never come forward with total proof they are the creators.
    Can you link to this, google brings up stories from back in April. And if the rumour is true then damn bring them on its given a 20% just today. $5700 and climbing. Scary, too high too quick, again. Weekend correction imminent.

interesting article shows number of years of positive mths in the s@P 500 since 1928 , just goes to show being in the market is really the only viable option over the long run.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sp-...ing-2017-10-12
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboyj View Post
    Can you link to this, google brings up stories from back in April. And if the rumour is true then damn bring them on its given a 20% just today. $5700 and climbing. Scary, too high too quick, again. Weekend correction imminent.
    Seems like nonsense considering bitcoin core is open source, and thus there can't really be a backdoor as such - the only way this conspiracy could work is if someone knows how elliptical curve DSA is broken or SHA-256 hashing can be cracked (e.g. by use of future quantum computers), and I don't see how this knowledge could be confined to whoever is/are satoshi.

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    VIX in USA lowest it has ever been.
    Conclusion?Don't know or assume anything
    Yes even a touch lower than it was pre GFC 2007
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Advanced Member

So labour it is. What will happen tomorrow morning. Will the stock markets collapse? I think there will be a market correction at some stage. This maybe the catalyst