sharetrader
Page 380 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 2803303703763773783793803813823833843904304808801380 ... LastLast
Results 3,791 to 3,800 of 18991

Thread: Black Monday

Wall St Futures in the green now

DJIA Fut.
    0.56%

S&P 500 Fut.
    0.56%

If the so called experts think that the exuberance shown in January where the major US markets rose roughly 7% is partly behind this sharp sell-off then why would NZ markets also sell-off just as quickly?

Our markets didn't rise 7% during January. In fact if it weren't for some last minute window dressing at the end of the month January would have been a down month for the NZX50.

I don't get it, if everyone thinks the NZX50 will drop when the US markets drop (and let's be honest tomorrow is going to be a stinker in NZ) shouldn't they also rise when US markets rise?

It just goes against all my logic that you can have it one way but not the other, particularly when the rises and falls are predominantly based on sentiment rather than fundamentals.

I'm weighed more heavily in the US markets than anywhere else. Given the way the market has moved I often have realised gains on a regular basis. Most of my friends in the US with large portfolios do the same.

I just keep taking money off the table continually so now have a pile of cash and equities....its a balanced approach which leaves you not losing your shirt. Given that, I know no one who is panicked today.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson View Post
    Wall St Futures in the green now

DJIA Fut.
    0.56%

S&P 500 Fut.
    0.56%
    its misleading as the futures trade at big discount to cash so them being up is just closing the discount a bit , the cash markets shows pretty big open down still

its showing a open down 500 pt at the moment or arounfd another 2%
    Last edited by bull....; 06-02-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    one step ahead of the herd

learning to see in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMorocco View Post
    If the so called experts think that the exuberance shown in January where the major US markets rose roughly 7% is partly behind this sharp sell-off then why would NZ markets also sell-off just as quickly?

Our markets didn't rise 7% during January. In fact if it weren't for some last minute window dressing at the end of the month January would have been a down month for the NZX50.

I don't get it, if everyone thinks the NZX50 will drop when the US markets drop (and let's be honest tomorrow is going to be a stinker in NZ) shouldn't they also rise when US markets rise?

It just goes against all my logic that you can have it one way but not the other, particularly when the rises and falls are predominantly based on sentiment rather than fundamentals.
    It helps me to picture the NZ market like a hungry bird on the back of a rhino. When the rhino is well we can pick up plenty of scraps and berries to live quite nicely thanks very much. But when the rhino is spooked, all those berries weigh us down and doesn't matter that experts say we can fly - we better watch out, we are going to be in for a hairy ride down the hill. (look out for my upcoming children's book series based on this analogy!)

Yeah doesn't seem fair from a casual kiwi investor perspective I agree, but then we get the good with the bad. NZ seems to always be the canary in the share-mine (look out for my upcoming children's book series .....) so we just have to suck it up and learn to respond, or not, as the case may be. There are usually opportunities when the beast calms down again....

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    how do you sell aussie shares then or buy lol if nobody there
    ATP all my "investment grade" shares i buy and sell through craigs and my "trading' portfolio through ASB. Its transparent and keeps my accountants and the IRD happy. I have done trade on ASX today through my ASB account. But am reviewing things again as there are a couple of top up buys i want to get on my Investment port , but i cant..

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    ATP all my "investment grade" shares i buy and sell through craigs and my "trading' portfolio through ASB. Its transparent and keeps my accountants and the IRD happy. I have done trade on ASX today through my ASB account. But am reviewing things again as there are a couple of top up buys i want to get on my Investment port , but i cant..
    okay makes sense to me

yuk dow showing nearly a 1000pt fall again ffor tonight at the moment 4% fall now on open although long way to go yet , 8% fall in 2 days wow if it happens that could mean a 10% fall in nz tomorrow ? long way to go to tomorrow yet
    Last edited by bull....; 06-02-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    yuk dow showing nearly a 1000pt fall again ffor tonight at the moment 4% fall now on open although long way to go yet , 8% fall in 2 days wow if it happens that could mean a 10% fall in nz tomorrow ? long way to go to tomorrow yet
    Hi Bull, where are you getting your Dow figures from? Link would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Out of interest. Is there a defining point where a decline is labelled a "crash". Or is that media dependent?