sharetrader
Page 393 of 1894 FirstFirst ... 2933433833893903913923933943953963974034434938931393 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,930 of 18939

Thread: Black Monday

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    the times are a changing , better adjust your strategies
    No need, don't fight the bots, work around them and stand firm, their goal is to produce fear and panic forcing weak hands to sell ,so they can then mop up cheap shares, don't play their game.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    This quite good -

Stock markets slide for a day. Result: mass panic and wall-to-wall coverage.

Soil is sliding off the land worldwide, threatening the entire basis of human survival. Result: indifference, no matter coverage.

What is salient is not important

What is important is not salient

(Don’t know who said, sent to me without reference)
    A rebuke from Kate to her fellow NZ Herald's matthew 'wet behind the ears' Theunissen business writer over his emotive 'Bloodbath' article, blindly copying headlines from overseas.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11989277

Pity really as he could have put some perspective on the market drop - giving up 5% after 35% gain is 'bloodbath'?

You into these VIX derivatives ...they sound fun

Even though some funds have been wiped out over the last day or two
    It's the derivatives that are destabilising relatively sound capital markets. Monday's Wall St record plummet was not a market correction - it was a meltdown. Wild swings of 100 or so points either way in the space of an hour constitutes mayhem and chaos, which is more likened to a drunken splurge in Las Vegas. I think we are yet to see an overall market correction but just looking at my own portfolio (which is not necessarily reflective of the NZX) - my graph is showing a steady line down from +15.10% at the beginning of the year to +7.9% yesterday so I'll be watching with interest as the current volatility may be masking some other underlying theme.

Nicholas Taleb’s book Fooled by Randomness should be required reading for all investors. I read it at least once a year (good for long haul flights)

One good part is how he explains the self anxiety caused by looking at your portfolio too often. The less often you look you get heaps more enjoyable moments (up / gains) than anxious ones (down / losses) ....and when you continually look at your portfolio the chances are that are only a few enjoyable moments than anxious ones.

This dude covers it off better than we
    https://acquirersmultiple.com/2017/1...or-themselves/

So for a pleasurable life and less moments of anxiety and stress please stop looking up prices every few minutes ...or hours. Not good for your health

Bull... he is excused as he is a real trader and needs to look every second to make a bob (but probably has many anxious moments as well)
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Nicholas Taleb’s book Fooled by Randomness should be required reading for all investors. I read it at least once a year (good for long haul flights)

One good part is how he explains the self anxiety caused by looking at your portfolio too often. The less often you look you get heaps more enjoyable moments (up / gains) than anxious ones (down / losses) ....and when you continually look at your portfolio the chances are that are only a few enjoyable moments than anxious ones.

So for a pleasurable life and less moments of anxiety and stress please stop looking up prices every few minutes ...or hours. Not good for your health

Bull... he is excused as he is a real trader and needs to look every second to make a bob (but probably has many anxious moments as well)
    Thanks for the reminder Winner... need to get the book from the library again and read. It certainly was an eye opener the first time. He writes well too does Taleb. I already knew about the anxiety at looking often at markets, if you know the psychology behind it you can actually make quite a bit of money off that fact alone.

The big problem being our mind that the negative moments cause more "pain" then the positive moments cause "pleasure" by about 2 to 1 or even more thus never being enough to compensate if you look at your positions too frequently.
    Last edited by blackcap; 08-02-2018 at 01:32 PM.

I'll be one to admit my portfolio gets the regular f5 treatment. Its part of the fun. But its only on the first of every month do i take a serious look and record where each share is at. Hence I have a monthly trail going back decades on my overall positions. And lso why I don't get too anxious - as generally the position improves month on month and if not certainly year on year.

Banned

Gee winner, you spoil all the fun, some days I barely leave the screen when work is quiet, haven't noticed any health deterioration, horses for courses mate.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I'll be one to admit my portfolio gets the regular f5 treatment. Its part of the fun. But its only on the first of every month do i take a serious look and record where each share is at. Hence I have a monthly trail going back decades on my overall positions. And lso why I don't get too anxious - as generally the position improves month on month and if not certainly year on year.
    What’s this f5 mini?

Had a friend once whose nick name was f1 - one of her jobs was writing the words that popped up when you pressed f1

Do they still use f1 .....seems to be an icon with a question mark to click on these days
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

I think he means 'refresh' ..(F5) keyboard speak

Quote Originally Posted by tzbang View Post
    I think he means 'refresh' ..(F5) keyboard speak
    That is correct