sharetrader
Page 397 of 1893 FirstFirst ... 2973473873933943953963973983994004014074474978971397 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,970 of 18922

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Yawn, wake me up when the bots and game players have finished their latest round of" Game of Thrones"
    Painting fences is quite fun .....be careful and don't get sunburnt

What colour mate .... darker colours are more volatile (got to use that word more often)
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

-200,000 new jobs, beating expectations of 177,000.
    -Wages grew by 2.9% over the past year, the strongest gain in 8 and a half years... excluding bonuses such as tax reform bonuses given out to millions of workers in the past 2 months.
    -The unemployment rate held steady at 4.1%, the lowest rate in 17 years.
    -Six states had all-time record-low unemployment rates in December.
    And the highlight: Fed is projecting a whopping 5.4% GDP growth rate for the 1st quarter.

I love how ol'yellen said assets are overvalued... seemingly oblivious to what their artificially low interest rates has done over the last 10 years?

As for kiwiland, we are in a good position as well moving forward... OCR staying nice and low .

Last edited by hardt; 09-02-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hardt View Post
    -200,000 new jobs, beating expectations of 177,000.
    -Wages grew by 2.9% over the past year, the strongest gain in 8 and a half years... excluding bonuses such as tax reform bonuses given out to millions of workers in the past 2 months.
    -The unemployment rate held steady at 4.1%, the lowest rate in 17 years.
    -Six states had all-time record-low unemployment rates in December.
    And the highlight: Fed is projecting a whopping 5.4% GDP growth rate for the 1st quarter.

I love how ol'yellen said assets are overvalued... seemingly oblivious to what their artificially low interest rates has done over the last 10 years?

As for kiwiland, we are in a good position as well moving forward... OCR staying nice and low .

That has to be a genuine concern. Reckless endangerment without even realizing it ? US Federal reserve looking to shrink its balance sheet by many hundreds of billions of dollars in each of the next few years so who is going to fund their deficits and buy their bonds and at what price ? We all know rises in the so called risk free rate (10 year Govt bonds), undermines high PE ratio's. Its starting to look like throwing gasoline on the fire, (massive cut in U.S. corproate tax rate to level's not seen since 1940), was also gross recklessness.

I am increasingly convinced a material global contraction in PE ratio's from pretty lofty level's is on the cards for 2018. This happens either through a series of pullback's or corrections or through a bear market. I am starting to think its the latter and we're in for a very rough next few months.

Note to self : Ensure you have a good supply of blood pressure pills at all times.
    Last edited by Beagle; 09-02-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by hardt View Post
    [/FONT]As for kiwiland, we are in a good position as well moving forward... OCR staying nice and low .

[/COLOR]

Interesting state of play, OCR staying put, mortgage interest rates to increase based on overseas funding, less cash in NZ pockets, low inflation, NZD Down.

Good luck NZRB

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Painting fences is quite fun .....be careful and don't get sunburnt

What colour mate .... darker colours are more volatile (got to use that word more often)
    A nice green colour, quite dark though, speaking of which, my portfolio still in the green courtesy of A2 and HLG(It's had near a couple of hundred k wiped off it's paper value mind you) Reckon I should have just chucked 50% in each of those companies and I would have been real sweet, I hate it when I'm overdiversified(Currently hold 7 stocks)

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    You’ve been lucky to have been in the market for the last 10 years ... one of the better 10 years in history.

As rankin/beagle say PE ratios could contract to more normal levels ...but usually over shoot on the down side. All this takes years.

Secular bear markets (not price but a cycle of contracting PE ratio) are bad news for investors. Historically market PEs fall below 10 in secular bear markets ...even though the economy and earnings continue to grow.

If we are to have a secular bear returns over the next 10 years will be very low. Some analyst have 10 future returns at close to 0% pa.

Thus Yoda your 10% pa probably won’t happen over the next years and as you hinted you don’t want to lose your hard earned gains. Just do what you think is right with each stock you own and there’s no shame in holding cash.

But then again it may be just a storm in a teacup at the moment — after all Trump has said the market has made a big mistake.
    Thanks for the comments Winner.
    i have sold down 1/3 today and yesterday, and feeling less concerned now .
    i have kept RYM. SUM THL and a few others with good divs. .
    sold most of those with a PE of over 20
    A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
    each to their own.

I suppose it is all about calculated risk..
    Time to pick some plums .

These red days make me sick and ill... but to hear couta has lost couple of hundred k makes me feel little better sorry :/
    Hopefully this will be all over soon especially for companies like A2 with updates just around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    These red days make me sick and ill... but to hear couta has lost couple of hundred k makes me feel little better sorry :/
    Hopefully this will be all over soon especially for companies like A2 with updates just around the corner.
    If you follow history and charts you will see the market always goes onto stronger levels after any crash or correction. If you don't need cash today, and the company's fundamentals haven't changed dont panic.

Anyone remember the rhetoric of September - November 2016?

Tis but another tilt
    Last edited by hardt; 09-02-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    Yes, expecting an excellent result and outlook for A2, just stay strong, I've been in this space before, I'm not phased by it.