sharetrader
Page 405 of 1899 FirstFirst ... 3053553954014024034044054064074084094154555059051405 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,050 of 18987

Thread: Black Monday

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vaygor1 View Post
    Can you double check fish? Im on 6% even. Might be me that needs to do the negotiating.
    I double-checked before quoting the figure.
    I have negotiated with them before.
    I do have lots of business with them
    Like couta I also have a mortgage so i can invest more-I pay 4.35 % on this which is a bigger loan and i also annually have to negotiate a better rate
    A !% difference or more makes a big difference over the years.
    The variable mortgage rate is 5.5% so i was happy to settle for this rate in margin lending as it is the equivalent.

Advanced Member

What colour Monday is it today?

Advanced Member

I feel the need to caution about margin learning in case I have mislead novice investors
    For most there is an obvious danger.
    I have made 3 mistakes in my investing that stick in my mind- none of which have had any major consequence because of my financial position
    It works out as 1 a decade.
    the first was equitycorp-it was when i was in a syndicate.Hawkins went to Jail.
    The second was brierly-the directors mislead and some escaped with lots of money
    The third was nzo-again those responsible escaped
    It has taught me that you cannot trust all those running a company-many have an obvious conflict of interest.
    I will probably stop margin lending if my other sources of income stop.
    For me it is tax deductible.
    Advantage are many as are risks.
    In the current situation I look to drops in sp as buying cheaply.
    This forum is good reading as it makes me consider stocks that have fallen below their value to me.
    I already have ideas as to what to buy today.
    I wont spend much painful time agonizing over what to buy-I am trying to diversify my portfolio and trust some of the posters so they will be quick decisions rather than guesses

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    What colour Monday is it today?
    Christmas Monday, just one lump of coal

anyone who started margin lending recently wont be singing the praises about it
    one step ahead of the herd

percy

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    I feel the need to caution about margin learning in case I have mislead novice investors
    For most there is an obvious danger.
    I have made 3 mistakes in my investing that stick in my mind- none of which have had any major consequence because of my financial position
    It works out as 1 a decade.
    the first was equitycorp-it was when i was in a syndicate.Hawkins went to Jail.
    The second was brierly-the directors mislead and some escaped with lots of money
    The third was nzo-again those responsible escaped
    It has taught me that you cannot trust all those running a company-many have an obvious conflict of interest.
    I will probably stop margin lending if my other sources of income stop.
    For me it is tax deductible.
    Advantage are many as are risks.
    In the current situation I look to drops in sp as buying cheaply.
    This forum is good reading as it makes me consider stocks that have fallen below their value to me.
    I already have ideas as to what to buy today.
    I wont spend much painful time agonizing over what to buy-I am trying to diversify my portfolio and trust some of the posters so they will be quick decisions rather than guesses
    Good advice.
    I have not had any borrowings for just over 30 years.No mortgage.No overdraft.Has its advantages."well positioned."
    At the present time I am neither buying or selling.Will wait until I think the markets have settled.
    Last edited by percy; 12-02-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    anyone who started margin lending recently wont be singing the praises about it
    agree
    but if it refers to me I don't just sing the praises
    It works for some and can be a disaster for others
    It is a means to make a lot of money-or to loose a lot
    But I do it for the dividends-which as long as they outpace the interest rate I pay profits roll in
    If anyone contemplates doing it then timing is important.
    The reserve bank last week stated no rise in interest rates for at least one year hence I can happily buy shares which I feel dividends will keep rolling and sell those such as contact which this year look to have reduced the dividend with no imputation credits-I need these to reduce my tax burden.
    Its complex and you have to be rational and not emotive.

agree
    But I do it for the dividends-which as long as they outpace the interest rate I pay profits roll in
    The reserve bank last week stated no rise in interest rates for at least one year hence I can happily buy shares which I feel dividends will keep rolling and sell those such as contact which this year look to have reduced the dividend with no imputation credits-I need these to reduce my tax burden.
    wasnt referring to anyone just highlighting how margin lending is a double edged sword
    one step ahead of the herd

Banned

agree
    Floating rates won't move much with the OCR staying the same for a year or so but fixed rates will be on the rise due to the US putting up interest rates, our fixed rates are funded by overseas money. I just refixed my share loan at 4.89% for 3 years, interest only basis. PS- The Banks are becoming more resistant to approving interest only loans beyond a certain period nowdays.

Good day on the bourse today with the index up

Bit of irony in that NZX itself is one of the biggest losers
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”