sharetrader
Page 417 of 1897 FirstFirst ... 3173674074134144154164174184194204214274675179171417 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,170 of 18964

Thread: Black Monday

Asia stocks start new quarter on front foot, dollar steady - Reuters.com
    https://ca.reuters.com/article/topNe...CN1H901J-OCATP

15 hours ago - Asian stocks began the new quarter on Monday with modest gains following a strong performance by global equities last week, while the dollar held steady ahead of key economic indicators.

It seems these days direction of markets could change within 24 hours. I found above link yesterday. By the time I woke up US stocks have tumbled.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-markets-wrap

U.S. Stocks Tumble on Tech Rout; Support Levels Fail

Quote Originally Posted by MARKETWINNER View Post
    Asia stocks start new quarter on front foot, dollar steady - Reuters.com
    https://ca.reuters.com/article/topNe...CN1H901J-OCATP

15 hours ago - Asian stocks began the new quarter on Monday with modest gains following a strong performance by global equities last week, while the dollar held steady ahead of key economic indicators.

It seems these days direction of markets could change within 24 hours. I found above link yesterday. By the time I woke up US stocks have tumbled.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-markets-wrap

U.S. Stocks Tumble on Tech Rout; Support Levels Fail
    yes the fake apparance of rising stocks in asia when you read it was misleading for sure probably got lots of people nice and calm go to the beach enjoy life , now they come back today and be very stressed there kiwisaver will be hammered today
    one step ahead of the herd

anyone following the libor? rising strongly credit stress in europe? and the high yield looks like a big rounded top? ready to break down
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

Here comes the bear, came out of hibernation in February, then went back for a nap. He up for good this time.
    Last edited by ratkin; 03-04-2018 at 08:55 AM.

I am cautious but note the Dow went up by a similar amount Friday morning as it went down this morning (N.Z. time) so net of that the amount the market has changed since we last traded isn't material

S&P 500 flirting with the 200 day MA is a concern. It broke below that level during the day which sparked a lot of program technical selling but recovered up to close just a few points below the line. Breech of this TA indicator wasn't a dam breaking event like some were predicting.

U.S. quarterly earnings this month should give us some more colour on the fundamental's upon which the U.S. market trades on. I don't think the market per se is expensive at about 17 times forward earnings but many tech stocks trading on no earnings or stratospheric multiples might come in the for a serious reality check this year. I'm thinking Amazon and Tesla for example.
    Last edited by Beagle; 03-04-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Veteran novice

It may not last the day but how encouraging to see the NZ market doing its own thing - in a modest way - and not blindly following the US lead. Even the ASX doesn't seem to be paniced.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    It may not last the day but how encouraging to see the NZ market doing its own thing - in a modest way - and not blindly following the US lead. Even the ASX doesn't seem to be paniced.
    I suspect that the market is beginning to appreciate that should the trade wars that Trump has instigated escalate, then NZ is nicely positioned by its many already well established, free trade agreements.

Libor

Thank you for highlighting Libor. Sorry I don’t have deep knowledge about Libor but there are lot of stories. If I am right hundreds of trillions of dollars in securities and loans are linked to Libor. I heard that the London interbank offered rate to be replaced by the end of 2021.

Interest rate

Still some countries prefer to keep their interest rate low. The Reserve Bank of Australia also has kept interest rates on hold at the record-low level of 1.5 percent.

Is there any special reason for keeping interest rate low?

Volatility

As I expected volatility can be seen everywhere. Even oil has volatility now. More volatility means more selling! Some selling will create some great opportunity. NZ market is somewhat resilient. Globally, new sectors and stocks could lead the market next.

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    anyone following the libor? rising strongly credit stress in europe? and the high yield looks like a big rounded top? ready to break down

老外

Will be interesting next couple of years. One wonders if the US Fed will suddenly decide it's too hard on the economy to not keep printing money and kick the can further down the road. If they hold the line of stopping QE and increasing interest rates as they seem to be at the moment... We are into new territory. As the Herald article points out there is a huge amount in debt based derivatives, over 200tn USD. The coming collapse could be dramatically worse than 2008...