sharetrader
Page 422 of 1882 FirstFirst ... 3223724124184194204214224234244254264324725229221422 ... LastLast
Results 4,211 to 4,220 of 18813

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
    The oil and gas we would otherwise produce for domestic consumption will have to be shipped to NZ - shipping is one of the world's biggest polluters: https://qz.com/1064658/the-shipping-...ts-dirty-fuel/

There's also the question of where the imports will come from - a lot of oil/gas producing countries have much less rigorous environmental standards than we do.
    won't be coming from east coast aussie there having major issues around lack of supply to there major cities ...
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    My understanding was that our crude is exported and other crude is imported for Marsden Point - something to do with Marsden Point not being able to process our crude.
    How about selling locally produced crude oil to NZ customers rather than exporting them. Import cost also could go down.

https://energynow.com/2018/04/bahrai...e-robin-mills/

Bahrain Shale Find Should Put Oil Market on Notice: Robbin Mills

My understanding was that our crude is exported and other crude is imported for Marsden Point - something to do with Marsden Point not being able to process our crude.
    Yeah, I forgot about that. Marsden Point was designed to process mediam-sour crude while the stuff we produce is light sweet crude.

老外

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
    Yeah, I forgot about that. Marsden Point was designed to process mediam-sour crude while the stuff we produce is light sweet crude.
    Yep, we are literally shipping all our good stuff overseas and importing the dirty stuff. So GHG emissions are already as bad as they can be.

Remember that the announcement means we won't be looking for more in any new areas. Maui is already going and will keep going for a few decades. It will always be bad for Taranaki when Maui runs out. Really they should be thinking about what comes next as the world is moving away from fossil fuels. You don't want to be in a business where your supply AND demand are diminishing. If you are, it is time to pivot.

dont even know if the govt has a plan for when the gas runs out in 10 - 11yrs time
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    dont even know if the govt has a plan for when the gas runs out in 10 - 11yrs time
    I know the plan, but its not a good one - blame someone else.

If National is in government, blame Labour for stopping exploration activities &/or failing to invest in an alternative.

If Labour/Greens have returned to government, blame either National or the corporate sector for putting short-term profits/dividends above reinvesting in an alternative like renewable energy while they were out of power

If Labour/Greens/NZ First have remained in power since the recent election - Your guess is as good as mine as this would currently be viewed as very unlikely anyway

If some other combination is in power, blame National & Labour for the above

Guru

The Govt is stopping NEW permits.
    There is already a permit out for the Sth Canterbury basin which, reportedly, has a **** tonne of gas to be had.

As usual the announcement has resulted in a lot of noise without thinking first. Much teeth gnashing and angst.
    The world is ending - we are all doomed.

The Govt is stopping NEW permits.
    There is already a permit out for the Sth Canterbury basin which, reportedly, has a **** tonne of gas to be had.

As usual the announcement has resulted in a lot of noise without thinking first. Much teeth gnashing and angst.
    The world is ending - we are all doomed.
    what a plan relying on a big if , do they actually know what is envolved in bringing a well to fruition let alone the enormous amount of money required to do that ( which nzog do not have they would have to farm out) and the odds of it actually being a bearing well.

doesnt install much confidence in me , why theres no dispute about climate change in my opinion it would be nice to see the plan for nz,s future emission free future and how they are going to do this and how its going to be paid for.

jacinda saying its a defining moment for nz , wow the headline was defining for sure thats about all we heard
    Last edited by bull....; 13-04-2018 at 07:34 AM.

Guru

what a plan relying on a big if , do they actually know what is envolved in bringing a well to fruition let alone the enormous amount of money required to do that ( which nzog do not have they would have to farm out) and the odds of it actually being a bearing well.

doesnt install much confidence in me , why theres no dispute about climate change in my opinion it would be nice to see the plan for nz,s future emission free future and how they are going to do this and how its going to be paid for.

jacinda saying its a defining moment for nz , wow the headline was defining for sure thats about all we heard
    And the previous Govt was planning on what exactly?
    If we are totally reliant (sink or swim) on fossil fuels then when they do run out we are buggered.
    Or we could get into developing and using alternatives - whatever they may be.
    Necessity is the mother of invention.

And the previous Govt was planning on what exactly?
    If we are totally reliant (sink or swim) on fossil fuels then when they do run out we are buggered.
    Or we could get into developing and using alternatives - whatever they may be.
    Necessity is the mother of invention.
    national dont have a plan either for nz emmission free future so scrunch will probably be right and when the gas runs out consumers will pay more from having to import
    Last edited by bull....; 13-04-2018 at 08:41 AM.