sharetrader
Page 426 of 1882 FirstFirst ... 3263764164224234244254264274284294304364765269261426 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,260 of 18813

Thread: Black Monday

Labour govt made the rules for ending oil ex in 2030 because:

* it saves face for Jacina because of when she told those at the steps of parliament that she sounds.

* they probably agreed something along those lines with the other political groups that most people didn't want in power, in order to make the deal

* they know it's ridiculous and dumb, which is why they set it at a date that's so far out that future govts can have lots of opportunity to cancel the rule.

It's basically a political game that will result in no change when a future (probably national) party gets in and revokes the decision. Until then those effected may be investors in the area with low confidence and zero political influence (probably no one) and potentially prices depending which way things go (probably no change unless there are contracts ending soon, which from memory i think it was mentioned that there are none).

But yes, this knee jerk, hap hazard, ill thought out, reaction based way to make policy is concerning. They are stupid in so many different ways and are playing political games with our economy, but are good with words and pleasing some. I have no idea if they'll do something that will ruin nz or not during their term. But i think we're seem ok so far (though i have no idea if the future min wage is sustainable or not).

Regarding the min wage, it could just be pushing up inflation at the bottom end to meet the mid and upper ends increase in equity (property gains). Maybe it'll all flow through nicely as a gentle inflation or maybe it will kill business. Who knows? We don't have any research to model outcomes on... 🙄

Like others, I'm trying to reduce my exposure to investments, but keeping in the game as much as i can afford to risk to lower the opportunity cost of things go well.

#HateFarSidePolitics #ThisIsWhatMillennialsInPowerLooksLike
    #MarxistNZdisguesedAsLabour

Quote Originally Posted by MARKETWINNER View Post
    Thanks for the link. Very balanced view point put forward by NZOG. Paints a clear picture the government knows sweet all about the details.....

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Emission credits. A system of putting money in someones pockets and achieving little.
    lol so true , and considering 1 tree hasnt even been planted or likely to i reckon in this term of govt i reckon your be paying nicely from your pocket for participation in the scheme
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    lol so true , and considering 1 tree hasnt even been planted or likely to i reckon in this term of govt i reckon your be paying nicely from your pocket for participation in the scheme
    Pretty sure I've seen recently a photo of a populist bully minister planting a tree. I.e. one has been planted (unless the photo was fake, which is possible). Agree however that they might have issues with planting the remaining 999,999,999 trees .
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

syria air strikes taken in there stride by the market , us futures well up at the moment also i was hearing tpp will be renegioated to include the us , it hasnt been ratified by the 6 countries to go live yet so is not in force till that happens.
    one step ahead of the herd

The Sun releases an estimated 384.6 yotta watts (3.846×1026 watts) of energy in the form of light and other radiation.

Could there be shift from oil to newly affordable alternatives such as solar power, wind power, and batteries?

http://fortune.com/2018/01/24/royal-dutch-shell-lower-oil-prices/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/oi...-in-2018-04-16

NZX50 now down back to the same values as it was in January, and you take away the performance of ATM and it doesn't make for pretty reading anymore. Wonder what happens to the index again when FBU comes off this trading halt.

Where do stocks that are so overvalued like AIA, FPH, RBD go from here? RBD announces record numbers and drops because valuation is so sky high. Perhaps this is our first clue.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by value_investor View Post
    NZX50 now down back to the same values as it was in January, and you take away the performance of ATM and it doesn't make for pretty reading anymore. Wonder what happens to the index again when FBU comes off this trading halt.

Where do stocks that are so overvalued like AIA, FPH, RBD go from here? RBD announces record numbers and drops because valuation is so sky high. Perhaps this is our first clue.
    Depends on inflation & interest rates.Honky dory for now as inflation still low ?

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by value_investor View Post
    RBD announces record numbers and drops because valuation is so sky high. Perhaps this is our first clue.
    RBD result was well flagged by March 4th quarter sales announcement. A drop of less than a percent can hardly be extrapolated as a 'clue' for anything.