sharetrader
Page 482 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 3824324724784794804814824834844854864925325829821482 ... LastLast
Results 4,811 to 4,820 of 18991

Thread: Black Monday

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NZSilver View Post
    A lot less upside potential cf downside risk at this present time. Preserve some capital, pay down debt. The real money is made a lot further along from this point - when a bear market begins its uptrend. Macro economics - all topics discussed above but notably corporate debt, and for NZ - China slowdown could have huge impact on our economy. 25% of our exports go to China, we are well and truely connected to their economy.
    Yes we'll apparently there is a good chance of rain this weekend also, remember" Time in the market is more important than trying to Time the market"

Hunting for Heuristic trends

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Crypto's relatively calm in comparison,go figure!
    Dont go there, Crypto is becoming known as the domain of massive scams and hidden criminal entities.
    Consider that the actual creator of the original bitcoin has never been identified, because "he" does not exist, after heavy investigation its looking like it was a joint effort by a large team who refuse to be identified or found. They try to point to some character but that's just a false front.
    bitcoin and other crypto coins are not worth toilet paper. they should meet the same end

Very limp bounce i have to say, with the US futures selling off after hours.

Suspect this failure to rally has opened up further downside.

Just to put a bit of balance into the blood smear on the floor:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/25/i...ber/index.html

... and what was the old saying? Buy when others are fearful.

CNN's Fear and Greed Index is on a 9 (out of 100): "Extreme Fear".

What better time to buy?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Best time to buy when market is in a state of total despair .... “ it’s always darkest before the dawn “
    We are nowhere near this at the moment ....,

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Best time to buy when market is in a state of total despair .... “ it’s always darkest before the dawn “
    We are nowhere near this at the moment ....,
    Correct - but it might take a long time to get there ... unless you know that this one is the big one. Do you? I don't.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Banned

The Friday Bear Cometh.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    The Friday Bear Cometh.
    Dow is now down 300 and Nasdaq is down 191 as I type. The bear cometh indeed. Fascinating to see these after close markets. I also note Amazon and Alphabet both disappointed with post close Q3 results.

A lot of the world markets are in bear territory now, i.e. down more than 20% off their high's.
    I have been busy positioning my portfolio very defensively. Utilities, REIT's, Healthcare (on compelling multiple OCA), Consumer staple, Synlait (forward PE only 16 at this level), modest stakes in retail HLG and TRA and modest stake in financial HBL. Cash allocation is currently VERY high.
    Last edited by Beagle; 26-10-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Membaa

There's no doubt things have turned after such a long bull run, but in the scheme of it, the reversals so far generally speaking are relatively minor and still consistent with a correction rather than a crash.

Nevertheless, if one looks at the subtle changes in the rhetoric of distinguished posters and taking into account the actions of the few who choose to disclose their strategy and actions, the theme seems to be preparedness.

It might get better, it might get worse, but being prepared is the hallmark of an active investor, having a plan regardless of which way the markets move. Having a strategy, and a plan to execute that strategy is paramount, but perhaps not familiar with many who have enjoyed and only ever seen a market that goes relentlessly upwards.

What we investors or traders do in the downturns possibly defines us more than what we have done in the upturns. Either way it certainly defines our individual end-game, when we count our chips and ask ourselves what would we have done differently.