sharetrader
Page 483 of 1908 FirstFirst ... 3834334734794804814824834844854864874935335839831483 ... LastLast
Results 4,821 to 4,830 of 19072

Thread: Black Monday

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    There's no doubt things have turned after such a long bull run, but in the scheme of it, the reversals so far generally speaking are relatively minor and still consistent with a correction rather than a crash.

Nevertheless, if one looks at the subtle changes in the rhetoric of distinguished posters and taking into account the actions of the few who choose to disclose their strategy and actions, the theme seems to be preparedness.

It might get better, it might get worse, but being prepared is the hallmark of an active investor, having a plan regardless of which way the markets move. Having a strategy, and a plan to execute that strategy is paramount, but perhaps not familiar with many who have enjoyed and only ever seen a market that goes relentlessly upwards.

What we investors or traders do in the downturns possibly defines us more than what we have done in the upturns. Either way it certainly defines our individual end-game, when we count our chips and ask ourselves what would we have done differently.

I would have sold ATM @ $14.62

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    [/B]
    I would have sold ATM @ $14.62
    Ditto but the fact that it was going to $20 stopped me.Lol

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Ditto but the fact that it was going to $20 stopped me.Lol

You, me and a few others too

PS and WHEN it gets back to $14.62 we probably wont want to sell them then either
    Last edited by RupertBear; 26-10-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    You, me and a few others too

PS and WHEN it gets back to $14.62 we probably wont want to sell them then either
    And why on Earth would we when it's going to $20.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    And why on Earth would we when it's going to $20.
    Wish it would hurry up!

As markets continue to gyrate,defensive non-cyclical great value plays seem to be the one of the safest investment options.

Utilities: Electricity, gas and water are essentials.
    Food and beverage: Demand for such staple stocks remains unaffected by market gyrations.

i must say its getting more volatile but vix still no where near levels of feb or previous big corrections like 10 , 11 ,16 needs to go 40 or more i reckon before i might be interested
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    i must say its getting more volatile but vix still no where near levels of feb or previous big corrections like 10 , 11 ,16 needs to go 40 or more i reckon before i might be interested
    Wait for a few more Fed rate hikes. I still think we are a year out of the big one. Too much credit floating around the system. Defaults will be the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    There's no doubt things have turned after such a long bull run, but in the scheme of it, the reversals so far generally speaking are relatively minor and still consistent with a correction rather than a crash.

Nevertheless, if one looks at the subtle changes in the rhetoric of distinguished posters and taking into account the actions of the few who choose to disclose their strategy and actions, the theme seems to be preparedness.

It might get better, it might get worse, but being prepared is the hallmark of an active investor, having a plan regardless of which way the markets move. Having a strategy, and a plan to execute that strategy is paramount, but perhaps not familiar with many who have enjoyed and only ever seen a market that goes relentlessly upwards.

What we investors or traders do in the downturns possibly defines us more than what we have done in the upturns. Either way it certainly defines our individual end-game, when we count our chips and ask ourselves what would we have done differently.
    I hope people are taking stock, not so worried here however in the US margin and leverage are a lot more liberal, in the past ten years it’s been heavy promoted you need 8-10million in equities to be truly financially independent, many would be lucky not to have more than 50 d/e on a portfilio at that level unless been in for the entire decade.
    Last edited by Raz; 27-10-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeverQuestion View Post
    Wait for a few more Fed rate hikes. I still think we are a year out of the big one. Too much credit floating around the system. Defaults will be the trigger.
    After October volatility will be interesting to see if the Fed does hike again in Dec. Might be more wary of consequences, or perhaps these small incremental adjustments are the safer long term option. The irony of it, if Fed does hike, it's because the economy is doing well, full employment, people spending etc.
    Lets not forget the US economy still grew by healthy 3.5% in 3rd quarter.