sharetrader
Page 484 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 3844344744804814824834844854864874884945345849841484 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,840 of 18997

Thread: Black Monday

Outside thinking.

Good post Baa Baa (4825)

My strategy (always long term, not trading) has been to take a few gains off the table, increase my cash and watch individual stocks T/A closely. I've reduced (or sold out) and shares in where T/A is bearish (THL and HBL are good examples) but am holding shares that may still outperform in a bear market (e.g. ATM, OCA)

Whether I add to any positions and snap up any 'bargains' is pretty much decided day to day by watching T/A and carefully reading any market updates/forecasts. IMO uncertainties caused by the forthcoming USA mid-term elections are a good reason to stay on the sidelines for the next couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    After October volatility will be interesting to see if the Fed does hike again in Dec. Might be more wary of consequences, or perhaps these small incremental adjustments are the safer long term option. The irony of it, if Fed does hike, it's because the economy is doing well, full employment, people spending etc.
    Lets not forget the US economy still grew by healthy 3.5% in 3rd quarter.
    Fed will get cold feet and no more hikes this year ....those who really control the US will see to that
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Fed will get cold feet and no more hikes this year ....those who really control the US will see to that
    Not sure who "really controls the US" - but you well might be right ;

Question is - what happens if fed is reducing the interest rate in response to falling markets?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by value_investor View Post
    http://www.multpl.com/shiller-pe/

The Shiller PE (10 Year S&P500 PE adjusted for inflation) now at the highest level ever since the 2000 crash.

The FANG stocks make up over 40% of the contribution of the gain in the market so a slowdown could slow down the market. I'm not in the US market but its probably the most interesting. Amazon currently trading at a PE of 151 and a forward PE of 75. I'm not betting against Amazon but they and a lot of other tech stocks will have to perform near perfectly to avoid negative share performance.
    Not often I'm right on anything (according to the Mrs) so I'll have to bask in this one. Looks like Amazon is down as I called it because of not meeting market expectations. I thought it was a great result but just shows how overextended they were to actually drop because those are some impressive YoY results.

Anywho, I had my cash parked for a bit this year so I'm quite delighted to see a sale on the market going on locally. There's been no change in fundamentals in most of the stocks but they are down quite solidly and I expect on Monday it will drop after the Friday in the states. We should start seeing some good sales on if it does drop more, time to keep my eyes peeled.

Been picking of onway down. If you look at graphs I thought bottom ,stable patch would be about 8400 or so on NZ index. We are getting there now.

Outside thinking.

How I learned to love a good 'downturn' in the stock market. Timely reading for those sweating the current downturn.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.53a2dcd5c906

I'm happy to wait and see what happens, that old saying about falling knives comes to mind. Can't make my mind up as to if this'll become a bear market.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtom View Post
    I'm happy to wait and see what happens, that old saying about falling knives comes to mind. Can't make my mind up as to if this'll become a bear market.
    T/A can prove invaluable. The idea is to catch the end of a trend, not knives

Default Correction or bear market ? - stat's on average size of losses and duration

Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine